My Book Premium Edition II has a problem

I have a 2TB My Book Premium Edition II configured as RAID 1.  It used to be connected to a Windows 7 machine.  Some time ago while Windows was installing an update it started giving me errors.  I ended up replacing it with a newer My Book Mirror Edition which only has USB 2.0.  I’d like to get the My Book Premium Edition II working again so I can use it over FW800 with my Mac.

If I connect the device to a Windows XP machine with WD Drive Manager installed, I get a popup message saying: “WU2T12017737 has a problem”.  The WD icon in the system tray flashes red.  If I open WD Drive Manager it says there are no drives found.  The device is partitioned into 3 drives and they are appear fine in Windows Explorer. The data is fine.

If I connect the device to my Mac, the drives are added to Finder.  When I run My Book RAID Manager (V1.01), I initally get an error: “WU2T12017737   is faulty, Call technical support for help.”  I click OK and the Drive Configurations window shows a green tick next to “My Book Device”.  When I click “Info” it gives me more details including RAID Status is Healthy and both Disk A and Disk B are good.

What’s going on?  How do I stop the errors?

Note it is almost the same as http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/My-Book-Premium-Edition-II-has-a-problem/m-p/68344 although I haven’t been able to get it to stop the errors.

I forgot to add that when the drive is connected to the Mac via USB 2.0 and there is no disk activity, the inner circle is lit and the outer circle flashes on for a second and then is off for 5 seconds, on for 1, off for 5, etc. 

When connected to tne Mac with FW800, the outer ring stays on and right and the inner ring is on and dull.

When connected to the PC, the outer circle stays on and bright and the inner ring is on and dull.

No-one?

Would updating the firmware help?  Could it hurt?

This was probably formatted NTFS for Windows. To use on Mac you’ll probably have to reformat.

Joe

Joe_S wrote:

This was probably formatted NTFS for Windows. To use on Mac you’ll probably have to reformat.

Joe

That’s not the problem at all.  I have an NTFS driver for the Mac and I have no problems accessing the content on the three partitions.

As per my original post, it is Drive Manager (on both Windows and Mac) that is telling me there is a problem with the device.

I went ahead and tried the firmware upgrade.  The upgrade went without any issues - I did it on a Windows machine.  I then reinstalled the latest version of WD Drive Manager.  When I plug the device into the USB port I get the exact same error.

and

On the Mac I get the following:

and then:

and

So, can anyone tell me what is going on and how do I fix it?

Have you condisered reformatting and starting out with a clean drive?  Since you want it for use on a Mac format it for Mac.

Joe

Joe_S wrote:

Have you condisered reformatting and starting out with a clean drive?  Since you want it for use on a Mac format it for Mac.

Joe

Absolutely NOT!  I don’t believe it would achieve anything. 

If you read my posts, you will see there is nothing wrong with the partitiions themselves.  I can read and write perfectly fine,  The problem is being reported by WD Drive/RAID Manager.  i.e. the problem is with the RAID controller or in that area, not the drives themselves,

This is so frustrating.  After all this time the only response I get is from someone who doesn’t read my posts.

Looks like this product is trash.

I called Technical Support (as advised in the messages) and was told I’d have to pay a fee.  A nice little money earner for WD.  Give you a message which has insuffcient detail.  You can’t get help on the forums and you have to pay a fee for telephone support.