My Book Pauses / Freezes While Copying Files to It

The 2TB My Book Essential pauses/freezes when I transfer files to it.  It seems to pause about 10 seconds between each file it copies.  By looking at the Windows 7 copy box, it seems to pause at the end of each file before it begins transferring the next file. 

The drive is less than one week old and is only 100GB full.  It has been this way from the beginning.  I updated the firmware and did a full format before copying any files.  Any ideas what this could be?  Thanks.

Try a different USB port if it’s a desktop try one on the back and don’t use a hub or dock. Go into device manager find the drive right click properties and on policy tab change to better performance and reboot. A lot of people recommended this  http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Joe

Hi Joe.   Thanks for your quick reply.  I have enabled caching by choosing ‘Better Performance’ on the Policies tab, and I have tried other USB ports just in case there were any conflicts.  I’m thinking it may have to do with the MFT table because there isn’t a problem copying the bytes of each file except the very end.  Maybe just recording where it is?  I’ve checked the drive for errors with ‘chkdsk’.  No problems there.  I just hope it’s not a hardware problem where I may lose everything.

Just remember never trust important data to just one important data to just one physical drive. I don’t know what else to try.

Joe