My Book not recognized after a few hours & have to unplug USB and plug it back in to fix

This mainly started after upgrading to Windows 10, but not until about a month after upgrading, so I really don’t think the OS upgrade had anything to do with it.

My Book works fine for several hours, sometimes all day. But when I leave the computer for several hours and come back to it, the computer recognizes My Book as a hard drive, but it can not open any of the folders. I have to unplug the hard drive from the USB port, and then I restart the computer (don’t know if that’s necessary or not, but I do it), then plug the hard drive back in & it will work fine for the next few hours.

I have had this hard drive about 2 years, and I never had to do this before. Just started a couple of weeks ago. I looked at the power management plan, and it is not set to turn off any external devices at all. So that’s not the problem.

Anyone else experienced this?

Hello, go into the power option of your Windows computer and make sure that the USB settings are set to not shutdown the USB ports. Also, is your computer going into sleep?

I uninstalled Smart Ware and then went to your Internet site and downloaded
the most current version and now the backup is working again. I’ll let you
know if it still keeps “not recognizing” the device every time the computer
comes out of sleep mode. Hopefully the update fixed everything.

Thanks for your help.

I am having the same problem. I have checked the power settings and they are ok. Is there something else I can try?

Noting worked for me. After I reinstalled Smart Ware, the backup service works but the computer still stops recognizing the drive every few hours. I have to unplug the USB connection and then plug it back in and it’s good to go for a few more hours. No idea why it happens or how to fix it.