My Book not able to initialised and unallocated

Hi, My Book 8T harddisk not able to initialise and no allocated. Run through the WD drives utilities and indicate SMART test failed. Pls advice whether can i recovered the drives or RMA it, as it is still under warrantly, thanks.

There are a few possible reasons behind hard disk not initialized as listed below. You can find out the real cause based on your own situation.

1. File system corruption.
  2. Virus infection.
  3. Bad blocks and sectors.
  4. MBR damage.
  5. Connection problem.

You can give a try to below mentioned 2 different methods to resolve the issue:

Method 1. Use Disk Management to fix not initialized error on an external hard drive

1. Connect the uninitialized external hard drive to your PC.
  2. Press Win + R keys, type: diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
  3. Find the uninitialized, unknown external hard drive with I/O device error > Right-click on it and select Initialize Disk.
  4. Then set the disk to initialize and set the disk as MBR or GPT.
    After this, you may reboot your PC and keep all changes. Now, your external hard drive will be recognized and read by Windows again.

Method 2. Run CMD to repair I/O device error on not initialized external hard drive

This CMD command would erase all data on the uninitialized hard drive, which you can later restore after repairing the external hard drive not initialized, with the help of any data recovery or partition recovery software:

1. Press Win+R > Type: diskpart and hit Enter.
  2. Type: list disk and hit Enter.
  3. Type: select disk F and hit Enter; (replace F with the drive letter of an uninitialized external hard drive) .
  4. Type: clean and hit Enter.
  5. Type: convert gpt or convert mbr and hit Enter.
  6. Type: create partition primary and hit Enter.
  7. Type: format quick fs=ntfs and hit Enter.
  8. Type: assign and hit Enter.
  9. Type: exit and hit Enter.

To recover your data from the affected drive you need the help of a reliable data recovery software. Here, I suggest you to check out Stellar Data Recovery Professional Software that helps the user to recover their lost or deleted data from corrupted/ unresponsive hard drive or accidentally formatted hard drive and even from lost partitions of the drive.

Hope it will help!