My Book Live WD2Go WebDav? Issue - FAT

Just tried this one again, i use TeraCopy as my default copier…

above 2GB - no luck

under 2GB - fine

pajjo wrote:

Yes it is already set to that value… Another query then would be… What if i wanted to copy a 10GB file?

I guess this device just is not properly set up for remote sharing on windows platforms.

untitled.JPG

I’m out of ideas…

Up to 4GB works fine for me. 

No, a 10GB file won’t work at all.  Windows 7 immediately says the file is too large.

BTW, these are MICROSOFT limitations, not WD per se…  Microsoft has a LOT of muck going on with WebDAV, which is actually a fairly simple protocol that MS has to stick their thumbs in to make THEIR WebDAV products (IIS, SharePoint, etc) work the way they want.

1 Like

Hi,

I just bought 3TB WD Book Live, 

I set it up with my home network and install all the software with it.

But when I am in my office I can only open my NAS drive via  https://www.wd2go.com/, Now the problem here is whatever folders I make back in home over my drive - it showed me almost full?

And I can’t able to transfer big office files on my home base NAS drive while I am in the office. 

Everything is showing full!? But it’s not the drive is empty 

Please Please help and support 

Thanks,

Waseem

If it’s showing “Full” it’s because your system drive is full (usually your C: drive.)

Microsoft always reports the size / free space of the system drive for WebDAV connected shares.

And even if clear down your Local Hard Drive, you will not be able to remotely transfer >2GB files to the NAS.

pajjo wrote:

And even if clear down your Local Hard Drive, you will not be able to remotely transfer >2GB files to the NAS.

That’s what WD says, and indeed, that’s what many users (like you) observe.

But for some reason, some folks (like me) can do up to 4GB.

so can i, on my iphone and at home… Just remotely, i cannot.

Even tried it on my nexus the other day, with 4 films, and they all failed to copy over… When i checked, exactly 2gb of each of the 4 videos had copied over.

So nexus = x

iphone = WORKS over 2GB

Windows Remotely = x

Home = WORKS over 2GB

Thanks for your reply, please help me, the drive which show me full it’s MY BOOK LIVE 3TB and it’s empty, how can I transfer my office file to my home based MY BOOK LIVE? by the way the MY BOOK LIVE is on a different network then my office network…

Just tell me know how can I transfer big files to my NAS drive (MY BOOK LIVE 3TB)???

I am doing all this in admin, I able to make different users but can I use those ID / Users remotely? and can able to transfer big file sizing like 100gb??

Thank you for your support and but please help me ASAP because I can’t able to use the NAS drive properly!!!

WaseemKhan wrote:

and can able to transfer big file sizing like 100gb??

NO.  As has been mentioned throughout this thread, the absolute max is 4GB.   Depending on conditions, even 2TB is the maximum.

OK, but I can transfer right? Can you tell me how? Because I can’t able to do it and Seagate NAS customers can?!

Please help!

How can I transfer? even I transfer small files to my NAS but the space @ my NAS drive shows almost full, this is not right I just bought and there is nothing on it - only WD files which comes with the drive?!

HELP

WaseemKhan wrote:

my NAS drive shows almost full, this is not right I just bought and there is nothing on it - only WD files which comes with the drive?!

HELP

I have already answered this question.

Re-read message 24.

Just sent an email case on to WD - Hopefully they can resolve the 2GB Issue

Hi

I have an issue with the My Book Live 3TB which i recently purchased.

My My Book Live is fully up to date, i have the dashboard configured and my ports 80 and 443 are configured and windows xp compatibility mode is enabled and all is fine on that end.

My 3TB drive is almost full and ranges from file sizes of less than 1 gig per file to files over 20GB.

When i try to copy between my devices, i am having limitations, set in place i assume by WD.

My Book Live is connected to my home router and has the static address 192.168.0.15

My Home Laptop is also a static and uses 192.168.0.22 and i have my shares from my my book live mapped to the laptop.

These all work fine and i am able to copy files from MBL → Laptop and Laptop → MBL without issue, even files that are 20GB.

I am also able to stream movies from my MBL NAS to my WD TV Live Media Player which is also on my home network. These are all fine.

Nexus 7" Android Tablet

I recently purchased this tablet and can connect to my MBL Device via WD 2go app.

Issue is that i can only download videos that are less than 2GB and also upload files from the Tablet to the NAS that are less than 2GB… If i am downloading a 3GB file, it will stop at 2.0GB and then fail and similar when trying to upload.

If i stream a movie to the tablet, it will cut off at a certain stage of the movie, i assume because has hit the 2GB limit at that point of the movie, but i can stream movies less than 2GB perfectly.

iPhone

When using the iPhone, i can download movies from the NAS and it even lets me download over 2GB or it appears that way. As a test, i downloaded a 5GB movie file, it downloaded the full amount, said completed and then when i tried to copy the movie to another device, it said there was only 359MB of the film, when it should have been 5GB

One nice feature of the iPhone is that i can copy files from one share on my MBL and paste it to another share on my MBL in minutes… Speed Transfers seem to be excellent.

External PC (Work)

When accessing the NAS on my Windows XP work machine, using WD 2go login, it maps the drive as a FAT drive instead of NTFS and reports the local size of my C:\ (WebDAV i understand)

When copying any file, it appears the PC has frozen but i know it is actually copying the file but it will remain frozen until the file has finished copying…

In the properties window, the NAS wont display any info on files over 2GB but for files less than 2GB, it will display the wideo width, height etc…

It will not let me download files over 2GB or upload files over 2GB and bceause it doesn’t really recognise and files over 2GB, it will not let me stream them…

Effectively, only my home laptop works with the NAS the way i would like all of my devices to work.

I guess, to sum up, if there was no size limit (2GB) then i would be fine as my main issue is that i cannot copy and paste between my devices the way i thought i would have been able to.

Will this be rectified with a upcoming firmware release or can you recommend a workaround… I was even trying to zip files into 1.9GB chunks but this became messy

Regards

Tony

Something else i have noticed…  When in work, i log in to WD 2go and i map my drive to my PC.

I can open the Drive and see my movies, if i right click anywhere on the drive, the PC Freezes (without me even selecting a file)

Here is my findings…

My first film in the folder, 8 Mile, is automatically been copied to the Temp Folder and this is what is causing the freeze over, until of course the File completes copying (a long time copying).

Have you noticed this?

(*sigh*) still have to wait for a mod to approve your image.

You might consider posting it to imageshack or something so we don’t have to wait to see it.

Yes.  Absolutely.

I’ve noticed, too, that if you use the Windows Shortcuts (Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V) instead of right-clicking, it won’t do that.

Doing any RIGHT-CLICK causes the copy to “temp”, because Windows needs the file in order to know what context-sensitive items to put on the Right-Click menu.

So, it copies to TEMP, then reads all the file metadata, and then presents the context-sensitive menu.

Sorry Tony, is this you streaming video on your laptop AWAY from your home network? I thought this was not possible…