My Book Live reset button problem

Well, taking the cover off was the only way for you to discover the problem, so no sermon there… :wink:

I kinda doubt it’s dead.

Green is the “normal” color for the LED, whether it’s flashing or not.   Green just means the drive is “awake.”  

Blue is OK, which means the drive is asleep, but online.

Yellow and Red both have different meanings, all explained in the manual.

At any rate, chances are your drive and data are still OK.

If you were using a static IP address, and you remember what it was, let the drive boot to the GREEN LED then try “pinging” that IP address.

For example:

C:\Users\tony>ping 172.25.2.4

Pinging 172.25.2.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.25.2.4: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 172.25.2.4:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

You should see “REPLY.”

If you see 

C:\Users\a0193633>ping 172.25.2.4

Pinging 172.25.2.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 172.25.15.12:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Well, then you’re in a pickle;  the proper way to recover from that condition is to use the reset button which is no longer an option for you.

If you had the drive configured to use a Dynamic (Auto or DHCP) IP address, then look in your router (or whatever acts as your DHCP server) and see if it will tell you what the IP address is that it assigned to the MBL, and repeat the above with that IP address.

If you do get positive PINGS, then you should be able to browse to that IP address directly in your web browser, by using the address (from my example above)

http://172.24.2.4

and get access to the Webpage for the MBL.

If *that* still doesn’t work, I’m afraid you’re probably out of luck.

If that’s the case, then you have a few options:

1- Get your drive replaced under warranty; your data will most likely be lost.

2- Send your drive to a WD-approved Data Recovery Service; they will recover your data and either arrange for the replacement, or send your data in some way and send you back the dead drive for you to replace with WD.

3- VOID YOUR WARRANTY – Take the drive out of the case and attach it to your PC and get the data off of it.

If you elect to do number three, there’s a handful of posts in this forum about how to do that.

1 Like