My book live never sleeps

Not so sure about that. I did the update yesterday and today I’ve noticed the MBL not going into sleep mode. Has steady green LED.

I believe that the sleep is “fixed” in that the MBL will go to sleep; BUT in my case, I cannot get the MBL to wake up with the media receiver (AVR) if the MBL has been sleeping for more than 1 hr.

For the “never” sleep, my daemon.log shows a possible reason for not sleeping:

Apr 24 08:23:28 MyBookLive avahi-daemon[3190]: Server startup complete. Host nam
e is MyBookLive.local. Local service cookie is 1163144093.
Apr 24 17:32:16 MyBookLive dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
Apr 24 17:32:21 MyBookLive dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
Apr 24 17:32:21 MyBookLive dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
Apr 24 17:32:23 MyBookLive dhclient: bound to 192.168.1.4 – renewal in 42814 se
conds.
Apr 25 05:25:57 MyBookLive dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
Apr 25 05:26:00 MyBookLive dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
Apr 25 05:26:00 MyBookLive dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
Apr 25 05:26:11 MyBookLive dhclient: bound to 192.168.1.4 – renewal in 33121 se
conds.

I thought that the ip usually bound in DAYs & NOT in HOURS!  Just how often does the MBL request for a renewal of the dhcp ip?  In fact, it looks like the ip request varies for whatever reason or possibly a “random” number?

Anyone else has seen their MBL dhcprequest in the daemon.log for the latest firmware?

I believe that the DHCP lease time is driven by the DHCP server, not the client.  You should check your router settings.

WDTony wrote:

I believe that the DHCP lease time is driven by the DHCP server, not the client.  You should check your router settings.

That’s right.

And a DHCP client will (should) attempt to renew the lease at the lease’s half-life.

The DHCP client daemon advises that it will attempt to renew the lease at 42814 seconds, which equates to 713 minutes.

The time from the bind to the next DHCPREQUEST is exactly 713 minutes, so that’s the correct behavior.

I have my MBLs set to static IPs, so I can’t check my logs to see if it matches the router information…

a coule of weeks ago when I updated my 3TB MBL to the newest firmware, the unit stopped going into sleep.  I read this whole thread and tried everything possible to make it sleep.  I think decided to do a hard reset on the back of the unit and that seemed to do it.  The unit would not sleep after 10 min, maybe 25-30 min.  I need to look into this further, but I am happy that it sleeps now.

New My Book Live user…

Just got one a couple of weeks ago (cause my WD 1TB Passport up and flatlined after less than a year… )

I’m liking it quite a bit so far… but yeah, it never “sleeps”

Is there a good FAQ somewhere that might help me resolve this issue without having to wade through 15 pages of this thread.

thanks 

So, I turned off the “Media Server” (whatever that does) and now it behaves the way I want it to…

Maybe that’ll be good news for someone else

My case is similar to you. I’ve got MBL for around a month ago and I also face the problem that it never sleeps.

The thread here is 15 pages long (!!!) and I assume that it contains people that faced this symptom for various reasons. 

Never the less since it reflects an issue that affects many of My Book Live users - I expect WD to add an updated FAQ about the causes of this issue to those that have updated device that conatain the latest firmware.

In my case BTW I notices that if I disable the remote access option, then the green light stop blinking and the device relex from constant reading. BUT I’d like to use this machine as a personal cloud to be approached from everywhere so this is not a suitable workaround for me…

MisterG wrote:

The thread here is 15 pages long (!!!) and I assume that it contains people that faced this symptom for various reasons. 

Not bad for a thread that’s well over a year old…

Only a handful of posts after the last two firmware updates…

This is NOT an easy problem to track down.

I have four MBLs on my network – two of them running DLNA server, three of them running Remote Access, two of them running Web Access – and all four of them sleep soundly when not being used.

IMHO, In the vast majority of cases, the users’ drives that aren’t sleeping ARE being accessed; they just don’t know why.  

In some cases it’s the DLNA server re-indexing (or rescanning), or Photo Caches being updated for WD Photos, or some PC on their network (or mobile device) doing something with the disk, etc. etc.

*ALL* forms of access must be ruled out before declaring an emergency… :wink:

I too have been having a few issues with sleep though as you say I think different users experience different issues though all culminating in the NAS not sleeping.  I have narrowed mine down to two issues (1) my iPad has been preventing sleep, not sure if it is the two apps that come with this product e.g… WD2GO so I now switch the apps off rather than just letting the iPad sleep simply to make sure they are not running in the background. (2) I have my TV’s PVR connected via Homeplug to the router and noticed the routers ADSL light flashing a lot even when all computers were shut down.  I took the Ethernet cable for the Homeplug out of the router and the MBL went to sleep within minutes.  Not entirely scientific I know so I will monitor the situation.

Hi all,

I set my 3TB mybook up a few days ago, all it has on it right now is an album. Over those few days it never slept once. (or not acording to the log) So i started searching the net and came here…

As so many people sorted this different ways i just tried a few things, in the end it was the rescan setting keeping it awake.(re-indexing) After changing the setting to 0 it slept after about 10 minutes. Hope this helps someone

in a web browser

xxx.xxx.x.x:9000/config  > sharing > rescan in minutes

(xxx.xxx.x.x = mybook address)

A slight variant on the earlier messages re this problem.

My 3TB duo never seems to sleep either and when I go to the settings page, “energy saver” I see that I have “hard disk sleep” button enabled… BUT there is no sign of the bar that allows one to change the setting for when the disk goes to sleep so I have no idea what setting may be in place.

There is very little content on the drive as it is new — only a couple of video files that I loaded to test.

I have turned off remote access, mobile access, etc as suggested earlier … although that does defeat some of the potent nuses of the drive.

There does not appear to be disk activity going on  (i.e… green light not flashing all the time) but something may well be polling the disk.  The drive is connected to a Thompson wireless router and a single Mac — and even if the Mac has been sleeping for several hours the green light is still on the disk.

Everything seems to be working OK – although I could not connect to the box /  congfig /  as was suggested in order to change the rescan settings … just timed out …

Apart from wear & tear on the disk having it running full time is probably not a problem … but

My 3 TB MBL “doesn’t sleep” either, now(?).

The firmware is current (not the recalled version); the MBL did sleep as it was supposed to do.  Then I thought I needed to do a “redo” the Twonky database because of what I thought was a slowness or not updated mp3tag changes I made.

After the Twonky database was redone, the MBL “never” went to sleep again!  even after many weeks or a few months.  However, I did notice that on occassion, the led went to blue for sleep for a 2 or 3 seconds at which point I thought the MBL recovered to normal; but it was just a momentary sleep as the MBL went back to the green.

I do wonder how accurate the led is as sometimes using ssh to reboot the MBL, it takes a longer time which makes me think that the MBL was asleep; but then it could be the virus/trojan/etc checking software.

Not sure if this is already covered as I didn’t go through the 16 pages in this thread :slight_smile:

For a long, long time I have had constant flashing green.  I had disconnected the MBL from the network because I didn’t want the geniuses at WD bricking it again with one of their updates.  But what I hadn’t done was turn off ‘remote access’, so I turned off remote access (as I never use that feature), rebooted, had flashing green for a while, but now it is happily resting with a solid blue.

End of post, rant follows:

I haven’t visited this forum for quite a while as everything was running smoothly with Twonky working fine, only complaint being the insane time it takes to copy up files or delete large folders.  I see that even with the latest update people are still having bricking issues.  I’m a software developer and I’d be shot, then fired (possibly not in that order) if I gave so little thought to the upgrades and not considering people who were a release or two behind.  I mean how hard is it to first force incremental upgrades if necessary?

:End rant

WDTony.

Could you please write a step-by-step procedure to solve this problem, Including things to check and tests to do.

I have a Book Live Duo with firmware updated in RAID 1 and I have the “no sleep” problem.

I have read all this long thread and some other linked. Someone propose solutions using changing rescan in a menu of 3TB that I miss,

TonyPh12345 says that causes can be multiple and I am lost.

In my case It took a lot of time going to sleep (more than 5 days) but when I restart my computer and internet connection it seems like whole process start again. 

I have check that without remote access and dlna WDLive Duo go to sleep but i need remote access. Now I have chosen manually to rebuilt database for server WD2go, and I will keep WDLIVE always plugged (not for Internet or PC) BUT…

Could we have that step-by-step procedure.

Regards

I have the same problem with my 3TB MBL after i install “WD photo” on my ipad that told me to put all my picture to public share on MBL.

So i update to the latest firmware (MBL), remove WD2go and WD photo from my ipad, delete all file from public share (MBL), disable remote service (MBL), disable twonky, itune (MBL), disable time machine (MBL) and finally MBL sleep now

A new twist to this old story …

A month ago I decided to do a factory reset of the drive and that seemed to proceed smoothly, albeit taking several hours.

It is set up as Raid 1 with the lastest firmware …rmote access is turned off, web access is not set up for any accounts and DNLA is disabled.

Loaded a number of folders, including a large number of images, into 2 user accounts – with Media Sharing OFF

For about 2 weeks everthing seemed to be cool with the blue light showing regaularly (and for extended periods) as it should.

Then I powered down both my iMac and the MBL for a few days — and on return to active use the green light has stayed on ever since,  Not flashing, but a steady green with occasional flashes.

Frbom lights on my route it looks like some trafffic may be passing to the drive (even when the Mac is asleep), but I don’t have the tools or expertise to try to track what this traffic might be.

At this point I may just give up and assume the blue light will never come back on again … but still it makes me wonder whjat is going on.    Any suggestions as to how  (in simple terms if possible) it might be possible to figure out what is keeping it awake would be appreciated.

Add me to the list of disappointed new MBL owners that purchased a new MBL, put little data on it and it slept as it was supposed to until I upgraded the firmware before it was pulled (wish I hadn’t) and now the only way to get it to sleep is to disable remote access. Unfortunately the main reason I bought the MBL was for remote access use. UGH. Very surprised at the lack of timely action to fix this problem by WD. Now all I have is a second Time Machine until WD gets it together. I have been a loyal WD user/customer for over 15 years and spent lots of dollars on WD products. Just not use to seeing an obvious issue go unchecked with firmware that provided a “step backward.”

1 Like

So is this an issue that has been caused by the new firmware. I happened to notice my 1tb MBL go to sleep today only for the light to turn green again 1 second later. None of my devices should have been trying to access it. There’s no point disabling remote access because it’s the devices main raison d’ etre. Starting to think WD write buggy software.

I got a 3TB My Book Live a couple of days ago. Loaded with about 700 GB of movie files and some miscellaneous documents. No photos. No music.

All remote access is turned off. No FTP. No iTunes. No Twonky. No web access. No timeserver. 

Unit has never gone into sleep mode voluntarily, although that feature is enabled in setup.

Even with the Ethernet cable unplugged from the unit, it is still making disk access noises (like a scratch and then a little thump) about every 15 seconds. After several minutes, the hard disk spins down.

Please help! FIrmware version is 02.32.06-006 : Core F/W