My Book Live has intermittent availability issues, sometimes works sometimes doesn't

I’ve had this drive for about 6 months now and I’m getting tired of a small issue I frequently encounter.  I mostly use this drive (1TB) for storing backups and movies which I don’t use on a daily basis.

I have it configured for static @ 192.168.1.101 (gateway is 192.168.1.1).  My PC is 192.168.1.111 on the same gateway.  I have created network mounted hard drives.

What happens is, that sometimes when I click on the drive everything works fine, but other times it says that the drive is unavailable.  Is this a know issue? I even bought a new router (Linksys 2000) thinking that it might fix the issue, and it hasn’t.

Also, I disabled the “sleep” function a lont time ago, so that’s not the problem.  It’s like it’s random.  When it’s unavailable I am unable to ping the drive even though I can still ping the router and I still have internet access threw the same router.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en