My Book Live EOL?

My supplier tells me the My Book Live has been announced EOL / End of Life. Is there a version 2 coming ? Or is WD completely stopping the product line? Anyone with info, thanks for replying :wink:

Thatā€™d be weirdā€¦Ā 

WD just announced (last week) the My Book Live DUO. Ā  But itā€™s a two-bay RAID box. Ā Not really a ā€œreplacementā€ for the 1-bay, non-user-servicble My Book Liveā€¦

Is that what your supplier is talking about?

I canā€™t order any more from my supplier Tech Data, after enquiring for more information they stated that the products (1-2-3 TB My Book Live) are EOLā€¦

As it stands the MyBook Live is a very good product but itā€™s data/disaster recovery options are non-existent.Ā  Now I got the Safepoint back-up to work as I wanted it to I can use the other NAS which is half the size but the problem here is that to have a secure back-up one needs to go and buy an matching size NAS so the MyBook Live really is not a cheap option. It is if one wishes to risk losing their data.

It would have been good if WD included a serial port on the back of the MBL for diagnostics purposes, included a USB port to allow connecting an additional drive and a Safepoint back-up facility where it is easy (via. the Dashboard UI) to select what one wants backing up.

For example, why back-up music and movie collection when youā€™ve already god it all on CDs and DVDs?

Apart from that, as long as a firmware update donā€™t screw up my MyBook Live (and the few hiccups Iā€™ve had, but had SSH enabled) Iā€™m actually quite happy with the MBL.Ā  Feel happier that I can back-up my stuff.Ā  Not happy by the lack of recovery options should the unit malfunction.

I believe the development team is looking to add additional functionality to the reset button that should address the issue of a bricked MyBook Live.Ā  A one button debricking option would be massively awesome!

ravelord wrote:

I canā€™t order any more from my supplier Tech Data, after enquiring for more information they stated that the products (1-2-3 TB My Book Live) are EOLā€¦

I would have no way of knowing for sure, but since WD is still selling them on their website (and countless online retailers like Amazon, newegg, etc. still have many in stock)  , I just donā€™t think thatā€™s true.

They usually go ā€œOut of Stockā€ on WDCā€™s store long before they officially stop selling them retailā€¦

By the way, ā€œEnd of Lifeā€ to most people means that theyā€™re no longer supported or covered under warranty.   And that is CERTAINLY not the case with the MBL 1/2/3TB.   They are still being supported with firmware updates, and warranties are still valid.

Your supplier should probably be using the term ā€œEnd of Sale.ā€  :)

I agree with Myron in partā€¦

but one disagreement:

For example, why back-up music and movie collection when youā€™ve already god it all on CDs and DVDs?

Because it took me almost a year to rip my media.   I donā€™t want to do that againā€¦  A $200 NAS that fits a 1:1 backup is a no-brainer for me.

But I understand thatā€™s just opinion, and people will value their risk profile / time / energy / finances differently.   :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I *might* re-rip my CD media again (itā€™s been YEARS since I did that, and did it to MP3ā€¦)  to go to a lossless format now that storage is dirt cheap.   I ripped my 300+ CD library when the largest hard disk I had was 60 gigabytes.  :)

Iā€™ve asked for more information regarding the EOL and it appears that they are EOL with Tech Data because WD cannot provide a delivery time anymore. Apparently they are experiencing a shortage because of the floods in Thailand last year. They assured me however that they will reappear in the gamma, they just donā€™t know when. So no reason to panic :slight_smile:

My advance RMA is delayedĀ  for up to 2 weeks according to the RMA status.Ā  The reason given was short supply due to flooding; my MBL was ā€œmadeā€ in Malaysia & the RMA was submitted on Jan 3, 2012.

Thought I had read somewhere that my RMA expires Feb 2; would hope that WD will honorably extend the expiration date. Ā