My Book Live Enquiry

Dear all,

I had just bought the WD My Book Live 2TB as my personal cloud storage. I like the cloud storage idea, however, when i connect to the drive through WD2go.com, the size of the drive didnt show that it has 2TB size, instead, it shows that it only has 5.44gb free out of 54gb. Anyone knows what is wrong here? Is there anyway i can configured how much storage size to assign for each “Share” i created in the drive?

In addition, when i access to the drive through WD2go.com, the upload / download and connection speed is super slow…but when i access to the drive though iPhone mobile app, it pretty fast. Anyone know how to solve this?

And last, how can I re-format My Book Live? 

Thank you.

Anyone knows what is wrong here?

WD 2Go uses WebDAV.

Microsoft connects to the WD 2Go using a Web Client link.

When a disk is mounted via Web Client, Microsoft doesn’t report the drive size / free space correctly;  in fact, it’s reporting the FIRST drive in your computer (probably your C drive) instead?

Is there anyway i can configured how much storage size to assign for each "Share

The WD doesn’t support Quotas, so, no, you cannot specify a maximum share size.

when i access to the drive through WD2go.com, the upload / download and connection speed is super slow.

Sometimes even the transfer speeds are reporting wrong, too, even though the transfer is fairly fast.

For example, I just copied a 100 megabyte file from home to my work PC;  Windows reported the transfer speed as 2.89KB/second, but it was actually copying at closer to 15 megabits per second — 1000x faster than what Windows said.

And last, how can I re-format My Book Live?  

Do a system restore.

When a disk is mounted via Web Client, Microsoft doesn’t report the drive size / free space correctly;  in fact, it’s reporting the FIRST drive in your computer (probably your C drive) instead?

I just realised that it only shows the space in my compur C drive… this is a problem…if my computer C drive left only 10gb, then i cant transfer a file more than 10gb to MBL at once…i have to make the file smaller than 10gb or separetly transfer the file to the drive… :cry:

And i tried to transfer a 5mb file to the drive via WLAN, the speed is very slow…but when i use direct LAN connection to transafer the file, it is faster…how if i wan to transfer a big file from a remote place without the direct LAN connection? sigh…kinda disappointed with the MBL…

What is your internet speed (both download and upload)   And what ACTUAL (not the reported, but ACTUAL) transfer rate are you getting?

Below is the my connection speed via WLAN:

My internet speed:

Download: 5.40mbps

Upload: 4.86mbps

Trasfer rate when transferring to MBL Drive:

Transfer rate when transferring file to Dropbox:

As shown in the pictures above, transfer rate to dropbox is much much much much faster than transfer rate to MBL Drive! Just wondering if my MBL setting has something wrong…

Addition: read from other post that it will be better if connect the MBL Drive thorugh Microsoft Windows Network instead of Web Client connection, can any one tell me how to connect use the Microsoft Windows Network? i’m using windows 7…

Thank u.

Problem solved when i connect the drive using Microsoft Windows Network.

Those numbers can’t be right…   500 megabits per second across the internet?  and 3 Gbits/sec the other way?   

I don’t think so.   :smileyvery-happy: