My Book Live Duo has lost its shares

I have a My Book Live Duo with two 3GB drives in a RAID1, now 95% full. I’ve been using it for more than a year. About two weeks ago, something happened, and it APPEARS like the drive did a factory reset. When I SSHed in, all of the data is there on the /DataVolume, but none of the shares worked. I went ahead and added them to /etc/has/overall_shares, and now the shares are working again, but there are still two problems.

First, TimeMachine won’t connect. The TimeMachine share is there, and contains three sparse bundles, but our Macs say the drive will not connect. I enabled TimeMachine in /etc/nas/timemachine.conf, but that does not appear to be enough. /etc/nas/mDNSResponder looks OK.

Second, the dashboard UI shows all of the shares as containing 0MB. I see there are files that contain the sizes for each share, and I assume the problem is that there is some master configuration file created by the UI that I need to update.

Any help is welcomed. I submitted a support case two days ago, but I’ve heard nothing yet.

Tim Roberts

Hello,

Have you try creating a new backup job with Time Machine?

Please try performing a physical reset using the reset button on the back of the unit.

TimeMachine reported that the drive was not found (which really meant that the share wasn’t found), whether for the existing connection or a new connection. The physical reset did nothing. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to do, but I suspect it doesn’t do very much. Note that I had repeatedly restarted the device.

However, I have now restored the drive to full functionality, and I want to share how I did it. The KEY file – the master file from which all of the other configuration files get automatically generated – is /etc/trustees.conf. By adding lines for all of my shares to that one file and rebooting, now everything is back. The shares work, TimeMachine works, and the UI is now displaying the share sizes correctly.

I don’t know how it got lost, but at least I know how to bring it back.

Tim Roberts