My Book Live backup disappeared from list

This happened once before, and I assumed that it was because I upgraded the firmware on of my MBLs.

I have a safepoint set up to backup up from one MBL to another (A to B).  Now it seems to have vanished from the list of backups on MBL A.  See below.  This shows a very recent alert to show that the safepoint was updated.  And it also shows an empty list:

I have certainly not deleted it, and have not updated the firmware on either MBL.  Is there any way I can get the backup to re-appear in the list, so I can manage it again, without having to do a complete new backup?

This doesn’t inspire me with great confidence…

OK, in case this helps anyone else in the same situation, the backup re-appeared in the list following a reboot of the MBL:

OK the backup disappeared again.  I haven’t touched the backup jobs for a couple of weeks, and the backup has run successfully every night over that period.

Then suddenly the backup job has vanished from the list again, and the backup didn’t run last night.

Thinking about it, apparently there were a couple of power cuts at home yesterday, and I did get a couple of email alerts yesterday saying that both MBLs had rebooted. 

However, I would still not expect my backup job to vanish from the list as a result… power cuts happen and the backup list should be more resilient than this.  The drives are otherwise functioning fine.

Any idea how to resolve this?

If the power cut while the backup software was in the middle of backing data up to the drive, then you could easily lose the backup folder to corruption.  you should probably do a factory restore to get rid of the corrupted backup folder, and create a new backup from scratch.  

Hi Wayne.  No, it wasn’t doing a backup when the power cuts occurred.  I run the backup at 2am every morning, and since nothing much changes from day to day, the backup only lasts around 4 minutes, so the chances of a power cut during a backup are quite small.  These particular power cuts occurred during broad daylight.

Therefore, it’s a mystery as to why the backup job disappeared from the list.  The folder was still there in the destination MBL.  

What I’ve done is to delete the desination backup folder, and set up a new job from scratch.  

Shame there isn’t a way to “point” the source MBL to a particular backup in order to re-start it.

Hope this doesn’t happen too often.  

This can happen if the RECEIVER of a “SafePoint” backup isn’t fully initialized and up on the network before the SENDER of the backup interogates it.

Is that a possibility…  the 2nd MBL wasn’t fully booted when the 1st came up?

That is certainly possible, at least in the initial aftermath of the power cuts, because they would have both powered back up at the same time.  However, I know that I did a couple of subsequent manual reboots of both drives, and I’m pretty sure I did them separately, with no success.

I will bear your thought in mind should it happen again though, and be sure to reboot such that the destination drive is definitely fully initiialised before the source drive is rebooted.

Thanks.