My Book Live 3TB Blue then Yellow light

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help. My father passed away last month and we are just sorting out his computer stuff and have found his My Book Live with had all his photos and documents on. I’ve brought it home to try and access the files but when I put it on my network I get a blue light initially and then a constant yellow light and it won’t appear on any of my computers. 

Can anyone suggest how I can get the drive accessible so I can get to his files ?

Many thanks

Damien

Damien,

I am sorry to hear about your loss!

A constant yellow light means that the drive is still booting.   If it stays like that for more than about 15 minutes, then it could be that the drive is trying to recover from an error.

Leave the drive alone for a few hours.    If it still does not change, then it’s most likely that the drive has failed.

Let us know and we’ll go from there.

Thanks Tony,

Unfortunately, the drive appears stuck on the yellow light. I’ve tried unplugging and resetting a couple of times but no joy.

Does anybody have any ideas ?

Yours hoping,

Damien

The other option you have (if you’re not concerned with warranty) is to remove the drive from the enclosure and plug it into your PC via a SATA to USB dock (or cable to the motherboard), and use a program like DiskInternals to allow you to mount the Linux file system on your PC and transfer the data off of it.

Or, using the same process of removing the drive, you might try “debricking” it:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/m-p/435724#M12669

Big thanks Tony.

That looks like a nightmare !

If it is still under warranty would WD recover the files ?

Many thanks

Damien

damiencandle wrote:

If it is still under warranty would WD recover the files ?

No.  Warranty does not include data recovery.