My Book Live 3 TB (Intermittent Access)

Ok after the weekend and the past two week days I’m trying to talk myself out of throwing this thing out the window.  Setup was easy no issues. I’ve configured the drive as I want it, no issues.  I’ve updated firmware twice (current as of yesterday) and no issues.  HOWEVER, this drive will intermittently lose connection and the only fix is to pull the power and reboot it.  I haven’t been able to do a single backup without it dying in the middle.  I haven’t been able to run a full diagnostic check without it dying in the middle.  After the reboot I can transfer files and it works exactly as expected, but it has not been on and functioning for more than a couple of hours at a time before it’s inaccessible.

I have a network drive mapped on my PC, but UNC paths also do not work when the problem happens.  Accessing via IP to get to the web interface or anything else also does not work.

I’ve tried disabling the sleep mode but that did nothing to curtail the issue.

I have multiple other devices networked and nothing else drops connection.  Only the My Book requires a restart multiple times in a day.  I’m using DHCP with a static assigned IP table for all devices.

My setup:

Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)

Linksys-Cisco E4200 Router

Netgear 8-port Gigabit Switch

PS3 Slim

Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR

Panasonic TC-P50G25

Pace RNG200N DVR

Western Digital 1TB DVR Expander

Western Digital My Book Live 3 TB

The only devices running through the switch are the TV and the AVR.  Everything else is straight to the router. 

So far this drive is completely unacceptable.  I’m at my wits end and need talking off the ledge.  I love the space and the setup went perfectly fine, but it does me absolutely no good if it constantly needs power cycled.  HELP!

according to wd’s compatibility list, your adapter should be compatible. but it does show a listing for version 2.  what version adapter are you using?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3805/

Wayne wrote:

according to wd’s compatibility list, your adapter should be compatible. but it does show a listing for version 2.  what version adapter are you using?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3805/

I’m not using a wireless adapter so I’m not sure where you are going with that.  The connection to my PC is hardwired to the router as is the My Book Live.   For completeness the LAN adapter on my PC is a Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection.

Also, the link provided references a WD TV Live HD Media Player and WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, neither of which I’m using.

from the web UI you should be able to email your logs right to wd support, which creates a ticket, I believe.

I may have stumbled on to the solution to my particular problem.

It appears the outlet I had the power strip plugged into that was running the My Book Live and my Netgear Switch was cutting in and out.  Not enough to actually turn off but apparently enough to interrupt the connectivity to the My Book Live.  I swapped the power strip to a different outlet and the scheduled backup ran in the middle of the night with no issues.  I’m checking it today and still have connectivity.

So crossing my thumbs I think the issue has been resolved.

I’m so sorry.  I think I confused your post with another when I was checking compatibilities.  is the mbl connected to the router, or to the switch?  does it lose connection still when you’re copying data, or just after it has been setting idle for a while?  Have you tried extending the lease time on the router.  Also, there is a new firmware update, have you tried updating it?

Wayne wrote:

I’m so sorry.  I think I confused your post with another when I was checking compatibilities.  is the mbl connected to the router, or to the switch?  does it lose connection still when you’re copying data, or just after it has been setting idle for a while?  Have you tried extending the lease time on the router.  Also, there is a new firmware update, have you tried updating it?

The My Book Live is networked through the router it does not go through the switch.  It would lose connection randomly at times when writing data (typically with backups) or after a period of time.  Firmware is the most recent (I’ve updated twice since I’ve had it).

It’s been a few days and all backups have gone perfectly and I have not had any connectivity issues.  Going to chalk this up to a power issue and move on.  Glad it wasn’t the drive’s fault.

Still curious what exactly with the power outlet/strip is causing the problem.  I’m using the same power strip just plugged into a different outlet.  I’m just glad it is working how I expected it to work from the outset.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

believe it or not power strips are electronic to a degree.  after so much use, they begin to leak power, or better said, not allow enough power to get through. plus if you’re using it to supply a lot of devices, the amount of power could be significantly diminished to the point that the drive isn’t spinning up effectively.  and that will cause it to drop off the network.

[edit]

oh, and I forgot, changing the plug may work for two reasons. one, you could be getting more power through the new plug.  two, the other plug could be damaged, and intermittently dropping power.  but you’d need an electrician to figure that out.