My Book Live 2TB- Creating Initial Backup

okay so I’m running a first-time back-up (47.98GB) of PC data onto my WD MyBookLive today. I started it approx 07:30am this morning, when I came back home later this afternoon (approx 01:30pm) the WDSmartWare content gauge shows that 47.97GB of PC data has been backed-up. A message displayed in upper-left corner of screen says “Partial Backup Completed”. So now, like 12 hours later (07:30pm), it still displays “Partial Backup Completed”. I guess the back-up process is still active? Also when I view the actual MyBookLive file system (via-Explorer) it shows no data or files present.

I called Western Digital technical support, explained the situation, they replied that this behavior should be normal? That the drive is most likely generating the additional default version’s of file(s) (in my case the default = 5).

Is it normal to take this amount of time generating first-time back-up (like 12 hours-plus)? For 48GB of data?

I have PC using Windows 7 Professional 

are you backing up over wireless router, or ?  I backed up about 80 gigs of pictures, videos, and “other” on first hookup, over a G wireless, I think it took like 8-10 hours.  Just launch smartware and it will show you if anything is still not backed up.  You’ll see the “your PC” totem pole, divided into types of files,  and the “MBL” totem pole showing if it’s got everything.

I do recall having  a “partial” message.  I think the wireless router broke the connection.  I think I just restarted the PC and then went back to smartware, it picked up where it left off.

These backups cannot be found by navigating to the drive.  They are hidden.  If you lose files on your PC, you run the retrieve function and MBL will copy those back.

You can, also, copy and navigate files on the MBL like any other drive.  If you are backing up manually like this, and ALSO running Smartware, you will have two copies on the drive.

thanks for your response. I have the MyBookLive directly connected to a (wireless) LynkSys gigabit router port. So, while it is a wireless router I’m directly connected to it.

I think I will try re-booting (power-cycling) the router and see if I make further progress. Right now, more then 24 hours after starting initial backup, it’s still displaying “Partial Backup Accomplished”.

My PC was automatically re-cycled during the night, the backup is still running.

I see, so the backup create’s a separate [hidden] file-system? (I’ll have to read manual more thoroughly)  I was expecting there to be a full viewable read/write file-system available once the backup was created to allow for streaming to other devices? To attain this capability I have to manually move files onto the MyBookLive drive? 

update (03:00pm PST): I powered-OFF my PC, recycled power (AC adapter) on MyBookLive, booted-UP PC. When everything came back up I launched WDSmartware, it still display’s “Partial Backup Accomplished”, and is still running. The “Start Backup” button is greyed-out.

I’m not sure what’s going on here? Maybe the back-up is actually complete?

Both content gauges are blue, although data totals are slightly unequal- ie. 47.98GB (for OS C drive) vs. 47.97GB (for data backed-up). 

add a new file (audio, music, whatever you’ve tagged for backup) to your PC and see if MBL backs it up.  Smartware backs up automatically when you add files to your PC (after the inital backup) so the option to “start backup” would be greyed out. 

I don’t think there is a “backup only when I say so” option.  The only option for smartware is whether to wait until the pc is idle.

Also, what I meant earlier was, is your PC wireless, or is the PC also plugged directly into the GB router?

Lastly, for the streaming media aspect, yes you add all that stuff manually to folders.  you need turn on media sharing for the shares, it an option when you set up a share.

also, I’ll check my backup “status” when I get home.  It’s been working fine for me.  Idles to blue light all the time, but when I add new images from the camera, smartware will wake it up and copy the files over.

I see, thanks.

My MyBookLive status still shows “Partial Backup Accomplished”. “Start Backup” button is constantly enabled. Should’nt this button become disabled once backup is properly completed? Or should I manually enable “Stop Backup” button?

Also the LED indicator on the front idles to green color continously. 

I have’nt (manually) loaded any files yet, I will experiment in the next few days.

I have my PC directly plugged into one of the (4) LynkSys gigabit router ports, while the MyBookLive is plugged directly into one of the other router ports. So there should be a direct connection.

Actually, I purchased a second MyBookLive unit (still brand-new in the box). I plan to set-up a new NetGear 5-port gigabit switch (directly connected to one of the LynkSys router ports). Both MyBookLive units will then be connected directly to the NetGear switch ports.

Like I said, I’ll have to sit down a spend some time reading through the MyBookLive manual to gain a better understanding on proper functionality.

Appreciate all you input!

Dave

If you hit stop backup, then smartware will not proceed to backup any new files you save to your PC.  Think of it as a status button, like “yes I’m backing up this PC”, backup is a continuous process, so that it’s always up to date.  Not like a one-time archive.

I have my drive idle time set to 30 minutes.  I only add new nef files to my laptop every month maybe, and then some backups of neatscan (receipt scanner).  so the drive is green light for that, but is blue light for probably 23 hours a day. 

But I’m not using it as a transfer point of files from PC to PC, or using is as DNLA or streaming.

Also, when you add movies and music, the drive indexes all that stuff up front. that can take time initially.

Also, I totally forgot to check my button.  sorry!

If you hit stop backup, then smartware will not proceed to backup any new files you save to your PC.  Think of it as a status button, like “yes I’m backing up this PC”, backup is a continuous process, so that it’s always up to date.  Not like a one-time archive.

<<<I see what you’re saying now. It’s designed to keep the “Start Backup” button ON at all times>>>

I have my drive idle time set to 30 minutes.  I only add new nef files to my laptop every month maybe, and then some backups of neatscan (receipt scanner).  so the drive is green light for that, but is blue light for probably 23 hours a day. 

<<I’m still trying to understand how “idle time” works? Also reading manual, trying to get better understanding LED color code functions>>>

But I’m not using it as a transfer point of files from PC to PC, or using is as DNLA or streaming.

<<>> 

Also, when you add movies and music, the drive indexes all that stuff up front. that can take time initially.

<<<When you (manually) add files in this this manner (like music, movies, etc.,…), MyBookLive indexes this file-system separate from the backup file-system?>>>   

Thanks

Yes, there are two separate goals here.

1. you have Smartware backup all your movie or audio files (or other files).  This is in case your PC harddrive crashes.  You would install smartware on a clean pc, link it to your MBL, and push those saved files from MBL back to the new PC.  The files that are backed up using smartware cannot be navigated to, they’re hidden.  You cannot share, stream, multicast, etc, these files.

2. you manually add files and folders to the drive like you would to any external drive.  these you can delete, move around, copy from one PC and onto another.  Additionally, you can mark those folders for sharing, or streaming (I forget the term).  Launch the dashboard, and go to the area where you create new shares. In the options for that new share is the option to turn on streaming.  There may even be a global on/off, I can’t remember, I don’t use my drive for that.  I have netflix!

Powersaving mode means that the drive will park, or stop spinning, when there is no activity for x amount of time.  Blue led means it’s idle/power saving.  green means it’s writing/indexing/awake and ready for duty.

I don’t think it indexes media files that you are just backing up via smartware.  Only files you manually add for streaming.