My book issue

Hi

I shucked My Book 8 TB and used it as internal (because those drives are very hot even in good place (Hellium ver (orange boxes) is slightly cooler than air ver (Green boxes) and mine was air version)

and was very hot about 55 c even after puting 220W fan was 45 do decide to make it internal and now is 35

but My question is after that I put my 4TB internal in box but windows dont regonize it (show as unallocated while its already formated and with alot of data but it couldnt even accept it to format!!!)

is there anyway to fix using mt 4tb in My book box as external?

You can try to update the firmware even the firmware version is the same. It might reprogram the new drive with the bridge board. Doing this might cause in lost data. Made sure to back up your data first.

1 Like

My Books have hardware encryption (basically a SED (Self-Encrypting Drive)

You can not remove the hard drive from the enclosure and then be able to access any data on it … because it’s encrypted. (but, i kinda remember hearing it may be possible using Linux and finding and decrypting the hardware keys which is not for the faint hearted)

In summary, if you wish to shuck a My Book to use as additional storage outside it’s enclosure … sure, remove it and initialize and format it and you’re done.

if you wish to shuck a My Book to use as additional storage outside it’s enclosure … and be able to access the data already on it easily … then nope, you can’t do that.

1 Like

Dude I already did that and have access to all of my data on it without any problem in windows and no need to format or decrypting the hardware keys

it works very cool now without any problem

my question is not about that its about just the opposite,

Im using that 8TB as internal now and I have another 4TB Blue which I want to put it at My book case (which is empty now) to use it as external.
I did but windows regonize it as unpartitioned (but cant even format it to use)
so I had to back it use as internal again

so Im asking is there a way to do that and work? (put internal HDD to My book case and work!)

You can try to update the firmware even the firmware version is the same. It might reprogram the new drive with the bridge board.

1 Like