My Book is "looping"

Hey,

If anyone out there has this problem, I can use some help.

I have a WD My Book Essentials 320G, I think.  We lost power the other day and the computer went to emergency start-up when the power came back on.  I think this happened because the internal battery is dieing.

When I tried to access the data on my external drive it wasn’t there, and or I coudn’t. I restarted the computer and the drive and, while the computer reset ok, the drive kept on turning on, the computer was picking it up, then the drive would stop and then start up again, repeating this whole process.

It is connected via USB. I am not sure if its usb 1 or 2, but it doesn’t matter because this happens on all 6 ports I have on the desk top and my laptop.

This is odd. I’m not sure if the latest Windows XP update I did on the 2 computers has anything to do with it, or if the power outage screwed the drive (yes its on a surge protector), but it seems like all the drive does is loop from on to off, and it never lets the computer access it.

Once my computer found it, but i saw it in the device manager, but that was the only place, and it basically stalled out the computer.

Any ideas!

Thanks!

Hi,

May Be this is the problem with the Surge Protecter Which is not provideing the Sufficent Power.
Try Pluggin the drive directly to the wall socket there isnt harm by doing this
Once the Power adater is in the wall socket this would make the drive Work and also use the USB cable in the Back of the Tower Instead of the Front 2 USB ports

3 Likes

I am having pretty much the same problem.  The My Book was plugged into the wall and the power source was accidentally unplugged from the back of the My Book.  Now when the My Book is plugged in, no leds come on and my mac computer does not recognize it.  

I am wondering if the power loss may have damaged something? Also, is there a way I can get the files off the My Book External hard drive if it will not turn on?

1 Like

Try what kryptonhide had suggested, and also try with a different USB cable just to check if it is a issue with Cord.

Try connecting the drive to a different computer and check what happens.

1 Like

I wish it was that simple.

One of the first things I did was to plug the drive into a wall, and also use a different cord. Now its possible I have another bad cord and/or the power supply is bad, but I don’t think that is the case here.

Any other thoughts?