My Book hinders the PC shut-down process

I have had an on-going issue with my WD My Book. It has three interface options (firewire, esata, and USB). I have tried all three at one time or another, and finally settled on the eSATA interface. The problem is that it sometimes is not recognized in windows (Win 7 Pro) and sometimes it is. When it IS recognized, it runs smoothly, with no hiccups. But when I try to shut down the PC, it hangs up on the shut down screen for a long time (more than 15 to 20 minutes) until I actually press the on/off button on the My Book. When I do this, my PC finally shuts down, but, if I then try to start up my PC, Windows does not see it again. I would then have to power the My Book back on, then power up the PC and hope that it is recognized again. It’s not a big issue, because it is not frequently used, except for storing back-ups. It’s just something that is a nuisance. Any suggestions on why is it hindering the shut-down process?

It only happens with eSATA? You can try updating the eSATA drivers for your PC and check if there is a firmware update available for your My Book.