I took the plunge and tried Easeus, I used my book as a backup, so virtually all my data is some where else, so not much to lose. There were a couple spreadsheets that took a long time to build that had the most recent version on the my book, so I wanted to get them back rather than rework a December version.
At any rate, I tore the case open, took the drive out, and hooked it up. There were a couple snags. I first used a sata to usb converter, but that kept dropping the connection after a couple hours, I then connected it directly into my machine (all my sata were used so I took the dvd one), oddly I couldn’t scan more than half the drive on my new acer machine, so I tried my 8 year old HP and that scanned the whole drive. I needed to start at the full drive level, not a partition.
At any rate, 410,000 files recovered. Probably most are files I previously deleted, that is the snag with data recovery. But the two spreadsheets I really wanted I got.
The easeus program puts names and dates on some of the files based on data it pulls from the file, so a bit of a help if you just need to get some data back.
I really liked the Mybook, it’s worked for close to 10 years, humming away next to my router, although WD has been screwing with the software used to access it remotely of late (I thought that was for security reasons - guess not!).
It is a shame the world tolerates these attacks over the internet. The response seems to be to blame the victim. If people were attacked on the street we wouldn’t tell them they should stay in their basements.