My Book external drive crashed and now says file is open elsewhere

I was moving a few pictures and rotating them when the electric went out. Now I can’t rotate, cut, or delete any images on the drive. It says it’s open in another program. I tried enabling the “turn off caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files” and deleting all my temp files. There is one folder I can’t delete appropriately named WD Discovery crashes. There are five files inside of which I don’t know what to do with them. I’m not sure what else to do here. I have thousands of pictures on here. I’m using an HP ProBook Windows 7. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi @CaryHaven,

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Yes, the deleted data can be recovered even after an OS crash; however, it is possible with help of the right tools. Hard drive crash is unpredictable but it can be prevented by maintaining drive health and keeping it optimized. Further, I suggest you to check the below link, which shares the steps for crashed hard drive data recovery, also presented a few quick tips to prevent hard drive crashes and data loss.

Hope it helps!