My Book Essentials hard drives not coming on

I’ve got four My Book Essentials, two 1T, a 500GB, and a 320GB. I attempted to hook up the 320 to my computer, but when I plugged it in, the blue light didn’t come on though it tried to boot…and then it shut down. I tried one of my 1T drives and got the same result. Both the 500 and the other 1T followed suit. I tried a different outlet, but again, nothing.

I tried using a downstairs outlet, and that time, the light came on, but quickly went back out and the drive stopped. It did this with each one. They all worked fine prior when last I used them about a week ago, however, we recently had a bad electrical storm. I unplugged everything when I first heard thunder, so as not to take any chances, but now none of them will work in any of the outlets in the house.

My question is this: did something happen to all four of my drives that they don’t come on, or is it quite possibly that the outlets in the house were affected by the storm?

I’d prefer not to lose everything on these drives if possible because they contain pretty much my entire life from 2001 up to the present as I backed up my old computer onto them. :frowning:

Hi, sorry to hear you cannot access your files, have you tried opening the disk management window to see if the drives are recognized there? Have you also tried connecting the drive to another PC? 

How to access Disk Management in Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 to manage hard drives