My Book Essential doesn't stay connected (or something)

My drive I *think* is dropping. After it’s been on for awhile (~20 minutes) and I haven’t been using it, all of a sudden the AutoPlay scan will launch as if it was just plugged again. When I try to sync my iPod, it fails partway through, because the drive seems to disappear. I have been reading on these forums for an hour or so and haven’t found anything exactly like this. Right now, I’m running a scan/repair on it. I was going to try a different USB port, but I’m guessing that isn’t going to solve my problem. It’s been happening since I bought the thing. I should have made time troubleshoot it then, while I still had a chance to return it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have also this recurring problem with Autoplay popping up all the time.  Very annoying.  I will bookmark this thread to see if there are any tips.

1.  Make sure cable & port is stable (try another drive or wiggle and see if drop).

2.  Check to see if new Firmware is available and update.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.