My Book Essential Disk Failure

So, after about a year of (rare) usage, my drive decided to die. 

Symptoms: Disappeared from My Computer. Went to Disk Management and it’s a black partition with status Unknown. I can’t format it, can’t initialize it, and since there’s no way to access it, I can’t use any Disk Recovery software to try to recover it…

Attempts: Tried using different computer, Data cable, power cable, USB port, different OS. Tried on new clean OS and installs all WD software (including the Quick formatter that does nothing) and try to access the drive…Nothing works.

Any ideas or should I just submit an RMA?

Hello Davadin, welcome to the Community. As a last option I would try writing zeros using DLG, note that this completely deletes any information on the drive. If the problem continues then the hard drive would appear to be faulty and needs to be replaced. 

How to low level format or write zeros (full erase) to a WD hard drive or Solid State drive

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty 

Hello.

DLD (not DLG) couldn’t even find the drive. Like I said, even Windows’ Disk Management shows up as an unitialized drive… I can’t get a drive letter.

If that is the case, I recommend you to replace it. 

Might have to.

**bleep** it. It was doing perfectly fine for 1 year. HD Sentinel reports SMART is OK and drive health is in the 90%-tile… 

LOL 

It’s out of warranty.

Recycling bin it is.