My book essential 320GB isnt recognized on any computers we own

when my parents purchased this external, it came with 3 simple instructions. power it up, plug it in.

ok. did that…nothing. they didnt take it back cause they were going to try it on another computer they were going to buy, and never tried it. so now its been sitting for like a year and a half, and they gave it to me. i tried it. same ■■■■. followed the instructions, updated my service packs, tried downloading the software, contacted WD, and they said there was nothing they could do about it. does anyone have the same problem? cause we obviously dont have the recipt to return it to where we bought it, and after i write this im going to write WD to see if they can take it in and see if they can get it running and or replace it even though we didnt use ir for a total of 3 years. nothing has been written, deleted, and we certainly didnt damage it ourselves.

lemme know guys! *and gals ;) 

I bought the MyBook Essential 320 GB about two years ago and finally got around to hooking it up.  It loaded onto my computer and is recognized as a drive by my computer, but I have no idea how to go about getting it to “back up” my computer!  I know that must sound stupid, but SOMETHING has got to be missing from the instructions??  It keeps trying to get me to sign up for Memeo AutoSync, but from what I’ve read on the web, that is horrible and others have had nightmares with malware-type problems after loading it.  What do I do to make this thing work?  How and when does it start “backing up” my computer, or what do *I* need to do to make that happen?  Any help is appreciated…

hi,

have you try to use some data recovery software for backup?

warwick_god wrote:

when my parents purchased this external, it came with 3 simple instructions. power it up, plug it in.

ok. did that…nothing. they didnt take it back cause they were going to try it on another computer they were going to buy, and never tried it. so now its been sitting for like a year and a half, and they gave it to me. i tried it. same ■■■■. followed the instructions, updated my service packs, tried downloading the software, contacted WD, and they said there was nothing they could do about it. does anyone have the same problem? cause we obviously dont have the recipt to return it to where we bought it, and after i write this im going to write WD to see if they can take it in and see if they can get it running and or replace it even though we didnt use ir for a total of 3 years. nothing has been written, deleted, and we certainly didnt damage it ourselves.

lemme know guys! *and gals ;) 

Hopefully we took care of your issue. Thank you for being patient.

yes this issue has been resolved. the USB was apparently at fault, and Im getting it replaced.