My Book Essential 2TB USB3/USB2 - detect problems

Hi

I bought a My Book version for USB3/USB2 - I am currently using USB 2…i have a strange problem, everytime i turn off the drive & turn it on again it does not get detected. I have to reboot my computer to redetect the drive again. I am using the latest software & firmware. currently runing vista ultimate 64bit. Please advice

Thanks

flossed

abit more info…

The WD Smartwave Icon on the bottom Right, its detected in USB but the icon keeps flickering & the status goes to Drive Discovering…but drive is not showing up on My Computer.

Thanks

flossed

You are most likely not do not have the ses device installed follow these instructions please click on the link

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739&p_created=1253918879&p_sid=wE4wdAkk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzksMzkmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVNFUw!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

1 Like

Lawrence wrote:

You are most likely not do not have the ses device installed follow these instructions please click on the link

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739&p_created=1253918879&p_sid=wE4wdAkk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzksMzkmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVNFUw!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Hi Lawerence

I have SES Drivers Installed…it shows up in Device Manager as WD SES Device. I am stumped dont know why this is happening…any more suggestion?

Thanks

flossed

Edit: The drive is even showing up in Device Manager - Disk Drives - WD My Book 1130 USB Device

1 Like

Dynamic drive letter assigning is not properly functioning with WD *Smart*ware installed.

If you continue use this software, you’re subject to this harassment until WD Software unit fix it. There are other issues too.

To temporary fix this without a reboot, use this link to access drive management assign a drive letter to your USB drive.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/Quick-way-to-access-Device-Disk-Drive-Managers/td-p/121452

Of course you can use your WD drive faster and better without *Smart*ware.

Mabikay – SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …

Mabkay wrote:

Dynamic drive letter assigning is not properly functioning with WD *Smart*ware installed.

If you continue use this software, you’re subject to this harassment until WD Software unit fix it. There are other issues too.

To temporary fix this without a reboot, use this link to access drive management assign a drive letter to your USB drive.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/Quick-way-to-access-Device-Disk-Drive-Managers/td-p/121452

Of course you can use your WD drive faster and better without *Smart*ware.

Mabikay – SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …

Yup I did assign a drive to it through Disk Management…doesnt solve the problem :frowning:

Can you post a screen capture of the Disk Manager window? This should show your subjected drive clearly.

Mabikay – SLK

Mabkay wrote:

Can you post a screen capture of the Disk Manager window? This should show your subjected drive clearly.

Mabikay – SLK

Here are the screen shot of device manager & disk manager - I assign it to Drive X

For some reason, your images are not shown on this forum. 

Can you post them elsewhere (Free file sharing site) and copy links here. These pix are very important to decide what’s actually happening.

Mabikay – SLK

Mabkay wrote:

For some reason, your images are not shown on this forum. 

Can you post them elsewhere (Free file sharing site) and copy links here. These pix are very important to decide what’s actually happening.

Mabikay – SLK

Try this link

http://picasaweb.google.com/kwkong/Wd?authkey=Gv1sRgCLaJtcTukvHS3wE#

Flossed,

Everything seems to be in order including SES drive. X drive should be visible on explorer.  Now I am really confused…  I need time to think.

In the mean time…

I need your OS and SP ver. info.

Have you tried using your drive in another PC without Smartware installed?  And you don’t need to install any WD software to use your drive as an ordinary USB drive including SES driver.

BTW, if this Logitech USB camera is an external device, try removing it. If the camera is built-in, leave it alone.

Mabikay - SLK

Mabkay wrote:

Flossed,

Everything seems to be in order including SES drive. X drive should be visible on explorer.  Now I am really confused…  I need time to think.

In the mean time…

I need your OS and SP ver. info.

Have you tried using your drive in another PC without Smartware installed?  And you don’t need to install any WD software to use your drive as an ordinary USB drive including SES driver.

BTW, if this Logitech USB camera is an external device, try removing it. If the camera is built-in, leave it alone.

Mabikay - SLK

Hi Mabikay,

Yeah drive is showing up as drive X (which i assigned) but when i turn it off / on again it doesnt show up anymore, I have to restart computer for it to show again.

I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit (SP2) , thanks for you time :slight_smile:

cheers

flossed

Okay, just to be sure… uninstall *Smart*ware from your PC. Reboot. Ignore SES driver Notification - if you get  any.

(You may have to assign a new drive letter yet again) :cry:

Now use your drive – Disconnect – Reconnect and see if can access your drive without a reboot. If you do, you have to wait until WD Software unit fix this Smartware issue.

I no longer use *Smart*ware any more. I had same - missing drive letter issue while I use latest version of *Smart*ware. :angry:

Mabikay – SLK

Mabkay wrote:

Okay, just to be sure… uninstall *Smart*ware from your PC. Reboot. Ignore SES driver Notification - if you get  any.

(You may have to assign a new drive letter yet again) :cry:

Now use your drive – Disconnect – Reconnect and see if can access your drive without a reboot. If you do, you have to wait until WD Software unit fix this Smartware issue.

I no longer use *Smart*ware any more. I had same - missing drive letter issue while I use latest version of *Smart*ware. :angry:

Mabikay – SLK

oooppsss tried the above , doesnt work :frowning: , I uninstall Smartware still the same…

I have My Passport Essential ES 1TB with same drive letter disappearing issue. It fogets it’s drive letter if I kept disconnected for few hours. (It wasn’t an issue for me as I keep this drive connected - It sleeps 99% of the time) Today I did something different. While the drive is not showing the drive letter, I right click and choose, “make the partition active” while I was in disk manager. 

Now it shows as "Healthy (Active Primary Partition). Immediate disconnection - reconnection will not show this problem. I need to disconnect and set aside for over night t be sure if this is working or not.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed! :neutral_face:

If the issue is fixed tomorrow, it will be a good news for you and me.

(Or we’ll have to wait until new FW fix this issue)

Mabikay - SLK

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Is this Windows 7?

Joe

Yes, Joe… it is Win 7 X 32Bit Vaio with 2GB ram. BTW, it is my full time online Notebook dedicated to This forum.:smiley:

Mabikay - SLK