My Book Essential 1TB Makes Click Noises?

I just came back from vacation, and plugged my external hard drive into my laptop. I get a couple of clicking noises, then it won’t read. I opened up My Computer and did not find it anywhere. Is the external hard drive broken?

UPDATE: I plugged it into my old laptop, and it worked. WHAT??? It works on my old laptop but not my new one?

Um, nice tech support?

The WD Community was created for Users, such as yourself, to help one another, and to share your experiences and ideas with one another. As Moderators, we are here simply to facilitate and oversee the community. If you have a question relating the what’s going on in the community, we will be happy to respond. However, if you are looking for technical support from WD, you will need to contact them directly.

HOWEVER, you need to get a power booster cable, because the drive is not getting enough power to spin the drive up on your pc through the USB port.  Not enough power can cause it to click also.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

What do you mean I don’t have enough power? The external hard drive has its own power supply, and I’m using the cable that came with the hard drive. I sent an “email” to the tech support, and am hoping to get a reply. And by the way, it works on my older laptop, but not my new one. I bought the new laptop 4 months ago, and the ext-HD around half a year ago, it worked fine on my new laptop until I came back from vacation [a couple of days ago].

Fixed! Went into Disk Management and assigned the drive a letter, and bam! I’m back in business! Well thanks for nothing.

dennis96411 wrote:

What do you mean I don’t have enough power? The external hard drive has its own power supply, and I’m using the cable that came with the hard drive. I sent an “email” to the tech support, and am hoping to get a reply. And by the way, it works on my older laptop, but not my new one. I bought the new laptop 4 months ago, and the ext-HD around half a year ago, it worked fine on my new laptop until I came back from vacation [a couple of days ago].

Boy, do I stand corrected!  Sorry, I confused your MY BOOK Essential with our MY PASSPORT Essential.  Glad you got it to work.  However, are you still having the clicking noises?

Nope, all is well. I’ll give you kudos anyway for actually replying.

Ahh.  Thank you.