My Book Elite wont work on my laptop but works fine on another laptop?

Hi guys n gals.

i recently received a WD My Book Elite for xmas (stoked) my mate loaded some movies and music on it for me from his laptop. Acer Aspire 1410. Windows 7 Home Edition. 64-bit OS and it worked fine, to this day i can plug it in his laptop and it work perfect, however when i connect it to mine it displays the “Found New Hardware” and asks to instal the drivers, ive tried both the recommended option and the advanced option where i can search for the location of the drivers… it says the software cannot be found. ive tried updating a number of other drivers on my system but nothing ive tried seems to work.

My laptop is Compaq Presario v3000

Windows XP Pro

Service pack 3

AMD Turion™ 64 X2

1.61 GHz. 1.93 GB of RAM

thank you all for any input…

oh when in device manager the drive is located under other device with a yellow question mark, when i go into it to find more info it says (Code 1) Drivers not installed.

please help :slight_smile:

Quick question, have you test your drive using a different computer? It seems to me like a power issue, those Passport drives need a lot of power from the USB port. The best way to determine the problem is testing the drive using a desktop computer, connect the drive on the back USB port and verify if the drive is recognize.

One other thing don’t use a hub.

Joe

Nesvic wrote:

Quick question, have you test your drive using a different computer? It seems to me like a power issue, those Passport drives need a lot of power from the USB port. The best way to determine the problem is testing the drive using a desktop computer, connect the drive on the back USB port and verify if the drive is recognize.

Oppps wrong thread

Nesvic,

My Book Elite has its own Power Adaptor. So your point is not applicable here. He may be having USB connection issue since he has relatively old PC.

Only SES driver may be required; if My Book Elite is equipped with SES device.

Of course you can use your WD drives faster and better without *Smart*ware.

Mabikay – SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …