My Book Elite 2TB Display not working correctly

I purchased a 2TB My Book Elite drive last week.  I set it up this weekend (everything seemed to go fine) and began my back up.  The display on the drive was working fine, and updating to show free space.  On Monday evening I looked at the drive and the display was a garbled mess and unreadable.  I checked WD for updated and upgraded both the firmware and the software for the drive.  I got the label to start working on the drive, but now the capacity gauge no longer displays at all.  The SmartWare software show and accurate amount of free space.  I bought this drive specifically for the purpose of being able to quickly look at the drive and determine free space, and its not working anymore.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Not sure what happened, but when I got home tonight everything was working OK.  Maybe sometimes it takes a little while for the display to refresh?  Anyway it seems to be fine now.

Hi. Got the same problem here.

Updated to 2.003 Firmware and my capacity gauge / bar is gone on my e-ink display, but the mybook name remains.

This is the only thread on the internet discussing this. I hope a WD official posts a solution here for us =)

I’m trying to backdate the firmware if I can find an older copy. Will keep you posted.

(btw I waited a couple days like you did, but no change)

You should probably contact WD’s Technical Support about this.  You can do it by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Did you also update the software?  Not sure if its related or not, but I updated both the firmware and the software…  It has been working fine since…

Thanks for that tip Preed.  It was worth a try so I downloaded the smartware software. Turns out I’m up to date.

I’d really hate to RMA it because of one small issue like this. I already have one on RMA for bad sectors and backing up data and RMAing doesn’t seem worth it anything other than drive problems.

Hopefully a solution will come from this thread :slight_smile:

Update:

I contacted WD support and they recommended I upgrade to the latest smartware as well. I had done this already, but the link they sent me 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdsmartwareutilities

also had the download to remove the smartware partition, so I decided to give that software (“VCD Manager”) a try too.

In and of itself the VCD manager software/partition removal tool did not fix my display. But as I am not 100% sure what did, I thought it was worth a mention that running that software happened as well, between now and my last post.

What did finally fix my display (I’m happy to report :slight_smile: ) was coping a lot of files over to my myBook elite. You see, before I started the copy, I was sitting at 1000 or so teraybytes plus, but magically when I crossed the threshold into the 995-ish area of storage, the display gauge came back. 

It might be worth a try trying that if you come across this thread and have stumbled upon the same display issue.

All the best!

I just got a new one that has so fare not shown it’s gage at all.

Same problem with my 1.5TB My Book Elite.

I updated the firmware and the smartware and virtual CD. This fixed the label which displays perfectly now.

Alas now neither computer recognises the drive! :frowning:

awesomeStorage wrote:

Update:

I contacted WD support and they recommended I upgrade to the latest smartware as well. I had done this already, but the link they sent me 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdsmartwareutilities

also had the download to remove the smartware partition, so I decided to give that software (“VCD Manager”) a try too.

In and of itself the VCD manager software/partition removal tool did not fix my display. But as I am not 100% sure what did, I thought it was worth a mention that running that software happened as well, between now and my last post.

What did finally fix my display (I’m happy to report :slight_smile: ) was coping a lot of files over to my myBook elite. You see, before I started the copy, I was sitting at 1000 or so teraybytes plus, but magically when I crossed the threshold into the 995-ish area of storage, the display gauge came back. 

It might be worth a try trying that if you come across this thread and have stumbled upon the same display issue.

All the best!

I can confirm that months later, the same trick worked to get the gauge back, and was repeatable.

(Copy about 20 gigs or so and delete therafter)

1 Like

Thanks for reporting your fix maybe it will help others!