My Book Elite 1TB Unrecognized

I was attempting to connect my drive to my Netgear R7000 router, but the router would not recognize the drive. I had not used the drive in some time, so I connected it to my computer to make sure it was still working. Once connected to the computer the drive functioned fine; it automatically installed the WD SmartWare to access the drive since I had it password protected. The SmartWare program told me that there was a firmware update for my HDD. I downloaded the installation file for this and attempted to run the program, but it kept stopping saying the drive was in use. I finally got it to continue to run after disconnecting the drive and recommecting, but close to the end, the WDFirmwareUpdater stopped, gave some error message and closed. I have no been able to access my drive since. The WD SmartWave does not recognize it. The computer doesn’t recognize it as a drive. In Device Manager, it shows an Unknown Device which I can only assume is it. The computer beeps like it normally does when a device is connected. The computer was trying to initialize device before saying it was unable, but it has since stopped doing that when connecting the HDD. The light one the front is lit, not sure if that means anything. The screen on the front was displaying the drive name but is no longer (just looks like all the lines are filled in). I don’t hear any clicking or spinning of the drive when it gets plugged in, not sure if that’s good or bad.

Any help is appreciated as I am at a loss here. I’m hoping I didn’t brick this trying to update the firmware because the disk is almost full with videos and pictures.

TIA,

Adam

Welcome to the Community.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this due to the delicate nature of this case. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Thanks for the response.

I actually received a PM from a moderator, ArMak, stating that this was “escalated…to the tech support team” and to “allow from 24 to 48 hours for them to contact [me].”

I was going to wait to see if I am contacted, and if not, then I will pursue your suggestion.

Apparently, according to Edouardo, from WD Service & Support the drive is toast.

He had me download a Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics program, and since this did not recognize the drive, it is no good.