My Book Duo: JBOD Setup - Mac OS X Software Encryption Taking Too Long?

I have a My Book Duo 12TB that I’ve set up in JBOD mode. I used the WD Utilities 2.0.0.23 software to set this up. (BTW, versions of WD Utilities after 2.0.0.23 don’t start up and crash under OS X Yosemite 10.10x. Ugh. Please fix this!)

This successfully created two individual 6TB drives to now use independently, just as JBOD should work. The drives both mount on the desktop. Great. No data has yet been moved or backed up to either of these drives. I then removed the WD Utilities software since I don’t need it to manage the JBOD setup, put the drives to sleep, or interfere/create problems as I’ve read it tends to do.

I then selected both disks on the desktop and selected the “Encrypt” option to encrypt the drives. It’s been about a week and a half now (with always on access), and both drives are still in the process of “being encrypted”. The encryption process hasn’t finished! This seems like it’s taking way too long to encrypt these drives, as I’ve encrypted other similar large drives in the past with quick encryption times.

I’ve run disk utility and no errors are present. I restarted the computer one time, and both JBOD-enabled disks required the password I set during the encryption process before mounting, which is how it should work, but the encryption process still shows as continuing, and the white light on the enclosure continuously blinks!

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas on how to resolve this, or why it’s taking so long?

Perhaps it would be best to send an E-mail to WD Support about this. You can do so in the following link:

http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Try to provide as many details as possible related to the issue you are experiencing alongside what you have tried so far. They may contact you if the y need additional information.