My Book Duo in RAID 1 - is WD software necessary?

hello.
can anyone help me with the question:

is the official WD software necessary for the RAID 1 to be working?

I’m on the latest macos and I have it once configured as RAID 1 under the WD utilities, but later I decided to uninstall it because (as repeated here more times in various topics) it seems like the WD software prevents macos from waking the external disk up. without WD utilities instead, it works just fine.
now, without WD software is the RAID working on on my disk or not?

My question exactly. I have a MyBook Studio II and a MyBook Duo, both RAID 1.

The Studio II is no longer supported by WD I was told, so I need only use Disk Utility with that. It has no problems, even before uninstalling WD Button Manager.

With the MyBook Duo I had numerous problems whem waking my Mac up from sleep mode. I would often get multiple images of it on the desktop after waking the Mac up from sleep, particularly if I had put it to sleep using the Apple Menu. With Energy Saver putting the Mac to sleep periodically however the problem didn’t occur. Once I got the multiple desktop images nothing I did would allow me to eject the MyBook Duo or shut down my Mac correctly. It would just beachball forever.

I also had occasional fake alarms about the status of my RAID array. Updating WD Discovery eliminated those but they came back after a while.

In the end I had to scruplously remove all traces of WD Discovery. Make sue you check both Root and User Libraries in MacOS after you have uninstalled WD Discovery. The proprietary uninstaller missed some items. Both RAID 1 devices still work as they should.

Disk Utility works fine with both drives. Without the WD Discovery I guess I won’t get the RAID status checked at all which is a pity and I guess the only reason to have the WD software if one did not configure the RAID 1 using it (I used Disk Utility to do this). But considering all the false alarms I’m not confident that it worked properly anyway.

Now that I know how to dig myself out of the situation, I might re-install WD Discovery in around 6 months to a year to see if it has been fixed.