My Book 3 TB not recognised under Computer, failed to migrate?

My Book is recognised in Devices and Printers but not under Computer
It passed the Quick and Extended Tests but when I look at My Book 1230 Device
Properties (Events Tab) it shows Device UBSTOR started, configured, not migrated.
All those three events are timed exactly the same
Event Log Error 441 - failure to migrate HDD during install
This is a replacement My Book for a 2 TB which I was told by support staff to return because they believed it was faulty. (It had never worked.)
After LOADS of emails and much stress I am desperate to know what to do but
I don’t want to go to all the hassle of another return and then get another replacement that doesn’t work.
I expected to “plug and use” as I am not a Computer Technician, just a regular computer user that needs to be confident of backups.
Important notes:

1. I was told to check the replacement drive on a second computer which had Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 on my main computer
  2. Eventually I managed to initialise it and then I updated my main computer to Windows 10
  3. I reattached the drive to my main computer and … miracle … the drive worked and did a complete back up (the only time it has ever worked).
  4. I had set it to back up continuously but after turning off my computer that night and turning it back on in the morning the
    drive was no longer recognised … aaaaargh !! :frowning: :frowning:
    I am losing all confidence and faith in these drives and have only limited ability but I can’t believe this one is faulty too??
    Can anyone PLEASE help me with simple steps.
    PS I do not need to recover any data that was saved on the drive a few weeks ago as I have done a lot of work since.
    I just want to get the drive working properly :frowning:

Hi, Are you able to see the drive under disk management? if so, can you share a picture? Have you tried writing zeroes to the drive?

I’m not sure how to upload a picture - I’ve tried copying the image I screen printed from the disk management window but not sure if this will work?

I’ll try another window too:

and another which looks useful - I see this is 9.35.10

Hi, All the pictures came up. If you only have the internal drive and the secondary drive, the one that says Disk 1, most likely is the one with the issue, on the one that says Disk 1 and click on initialize, and let me know what happens after that.

Below is what I get. When I move the selection to GPT (as I was advised) I get an error message: The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks

Repeating main points of my original post:

1. I was told to check the replacement drive on my second laptop computer which had Windows 10 instead of the Windows 7 I was then using on my main computer.
  2. Eventually I managed to initialise MyBook on my second computer. I then updated my main computer to Windows 10 as suggested by support.
  3. I reattached the drive to my main computer and … miracle … the drive worked and did a complete back up (the only time it has ever worked).
  4. I had set it to back up continuously but after turning off my computer that night and turning it back on in the morning the drive was no longer recognised.

This is what I just don’t understand … :frowning: :frowning:

Please Note: My secondary laptop which I only use infrequently is 64 bit whereas my main computer is 32 bit. I have been looking around the forum messages and WD web information and read that a different driver is used in each case. Looking at the screenprint of the WD SES Device Properties events on 8 Dec 9.35.10 it seems to show that the correct driver is installed.

helo, any update on this post? how did you manage to solve this problem?

I have a WD My Book 1230 which I’ve been using for years successfully in another computer. Then I moved to a desktop which is pretty modern, but frequently this kind of error occurs. It seems like when the HD gets a lot of file transfers the USB interface kind of loose itself and disconnects, the error “not migrated” gets logged, the HD vanishes from Explorer and everything stops working. I have to physically disconnect the HD (either supply cable or USB cable) and connect it again. It also seems to happen only on USB 3, since I couldn’t reproduce the error when connected to USB 2, but as you know the USB 2 speed is WAY too low compared to USB 3, it takes additional hours to copy/move big backup files.
Is there a solution for this?
Thanks.