My Book 3.0 USB 3 2TB does not work on USB 3 but works on USB 2

I’m having the same issue, can anyone recommend a solution? I believe my drive isn’t getting enough power through USB 3.0 but enough through USB 2.0 because of the different power requirements for each port?

Thanks Joe…

Hi all,

I had the same problem (Win 7 64, Gigabyte-GA-EP43T-USB3 1.0, MyBook 3.0). Thge myBook work on UsB 2.0 but not on USB3. I installed the latest drivers from Gigabyte, update the Bios, reset it to default value, reinstall the device driver etc. … Nothing worked-

And during all the time my win7 device manager showed me beyond “other devices” an additional USB Controller. see Screen (unfortunately in german)

So finally I selected this device and opened the submenu deactived the device and at the same time I was able to access the MyBook 3.0. maybe this could help you. too

I also have the same problem. USB2 works, but it isn’t detected through USB3.

I can’t see the image above, does this fix it for anyone?

Hi WD2011,

here is the Screenshot as Jpeg file, I Hope you can see it now.

I got this additional USB Controller entry (Mark Yellow) after I attached the WD Mybook 3.0 to the USB 3 interface of the mainboard. As you can see it has shown an conflict. And all action I describe in my last posting didn’t help to resolve the conflict. Only deactivating this device help to get access at MyBook 3.0 by USB3.

The picture below shows the the final result in the Device Manager:

I looks like that this device driver (marked yellow) has overlayed the standard USB Controller (marked red). What also happened, I got the “WD Drive Management Devices” entry in the device Manager after I have deactived the yellow marked device entry.

I had the same problem here.

i tried the most logical solution and got it to work on my x58aud3r rev 2.0 from gigabit

i went to the website and updated mys usb 3 driver with the one from the gigabit syte :smiley:

i’m very glad i got it solved now :smiley:

Its working at about 100 MB per second :smiley:

Hey I have been beating my head against the wall for about 3 months but I think I stumbled on a solution.

I have a ASRock X58 Extreme6 Motherboard - 4 USB 3.0 on the back and 2 USB 3.0 on front panel header

I have tried several different USB 3.0 External Drives - WD Passport and Adata CH11 500GB.  

These are the type of drives where it is just the USB 3.0 cable that transfers the data and powers the unit.  

For the longest time they would only work in USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0  - until now.

For me the issue was the power setting in windows. 

I went to ‘Power Options’ in control panel in Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 

I think by default it is set to ‘Balanced’ but I clicked on ‘Change plan settings’

From there I clicked on ‘Change advanced power settings’ 

I changed the USB settings from ‘USB selective suspend setting Enabled’ to ‘USB selective suspend setting Disabled’

I applied the changes and then plugged my drive into the USB 3.0 port.

Apparently it gave it enough juice to recognize and transfer the 256GB I have been wanting to transfer at 57mb per second!!!  Finally!!!  On USB 2.0 it was like 27mb per second for the write speed.

On a side note - I had my wireless mouse plugged into the other USB 3.0 port next to where I had my External hard drive plugged into - my mouse was wigging out - after I removed the wireless reciever to a USB 2.0 port my mouse stopped wiggin’ and I got even faster transfer rates.

Hope this helps!!!

1 Like

Thank you.

After lots of hassle trying to get an ASUS U3S6 to work, this final tip enabled me to read my WD 2TB ext. hard drive.

Check this thread - for now it seems the updatted firmware addresses a widespread issue.

I have a similar problem: the drive shows up only if I unplug it, then plug in again.

Then it’s visible when the computer is on, but as soon as the computer goes to sleep or restarted, then the drive is invisible again. Plugging in and out helps, but it’s annoying…

It’s the same whether I OC or not.

Also tried reinstalling the latest drivers, but no change.

The drive always works with a USB 2.0 plug, the above problem only shows with USB 3.0…

It’s easiest thing in World to solve once you know the trick!

What you have to do if you lose your equipment on USB or it is not detected -  is just pull the COMPUTER power plug out of the wall socket for two minutes and remove all usb leads out of your computer (in case there is an alternative electric feed.)

If you are running a laptop you also need to take out the battery for 2 minutes.

This somehow resets the USB chip on the motherboard (ie it clears it’s memory retention) which forces it to re_detect all your USB equipment.

Plug back into power supply/reattach battery - plug mouse and keyboard back in

THEN plug usb equipment in ONE AT A TIME so that the software/drivers load for each item of USB equipment!

As a last resort do what the OP did and reset your Bios!

Should be a lot of happy punters after this info!

2 Likes

I tried exactly what you said, and everything was OK, but only until I powered off the computer.

At the next Windows start the external drive was nowhere to see again.

After plugging in and out it’s visible again.

I can’t help but think that this whole USB 3.0 thing is not mature enough yet.

But thanks for the tip anyway!

Did you specifically give the external drive a unique name and assign it a letter like U: for ‘Updates’?

Thank you for the feedback on USB 3.0 - cos I don’t have it yet even though I have a My Book 3.0 capable of it.

Can’t believe the newer USB 3.0 chipsets still suffer from the same problems as the old USB 1.1 & 2.0 chipsets - but I had a guess they might! :dizzy_face:

Yes it has an assigned drive letter and name.

What I find strange, that even when the computer doesn’t see the drive, when I unplug it, there’s this Windows sound which you hear when you unplug a USB device. This means, that Windows notices when I unplug it, so it must have been connected just somehow not visible…

BTW I’m using it with a  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3.

OK, seems the problem is solved now, just had to disable all the dumb WD sofware!

Type MSCONFIG in the search bar in Windows, then look for the WD related lines in SERVICES and STARTUP and disable them. Everything should be fine after that.

I might have to give that a shot.

I’m having a different problem, in that my USB 3.0 MyBook will only connect as a USB 2.0 device despite being plugged in a USB 3.0 port.  It worked as a USB 3.0 device for maybe a few hours one day.  I reboot at least once a day for various reasons, so for all I know there’s something screwy in the WD software that’s making my USB 3.0 ports misbehave (or the other way round).

update:
Nope, that didn’t work.  Disabling the WD services & startup apps had absolutely no effect.

I have some additional USB 3.0 gear arriving in a few days (likely early next week).  I’ll have to wait until then to further investigate whether the problem is with my USB 3.0 ports, or the MyBook.

Which motherboard are you using?

The other thing I did, is that I’ve purchased an ASrock PCIE USB 3.0 card, because I’ve read that the onboard Etron USB 3.0 controller also has some issues.

The reason why I thought it was the WD software, is because when I put in the new card, there was no improvement first.

Only when I disabled all the WD software did the external USB 3.0 start to behave as expected.

Me?  Asus P5E3 WS Pro.  The USB 3.0 card is a generic one (it literally has no brand name) I bought at DealExtreme.  This one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-port-usb-3-0-superspeed-pci-e-controller-card-65767

(PCI Express 1x connector.)

I noticed that devices connected to the USB 3.0 ports don’t show up in BIOS setup as boot drive options.  That could simply be a BIOS limitation, given that the last BIOS update for this motherboard was in 2008.

Well how do you like that!

It WAS the MyBook enclosure at fault all along.  Today I received a new USB 3.0/eSATA external drive enclosure.  I removed the 3 TB drive from the MyBook (model WD30EZRX, as it turns out) and installed it in the new enclosure.  Hooked it up to a USB 3.0 port with the provided cable, turned it on, and reformatted it as a GPT, NTFS volume.

To test the connection, I transferred an 8 GB DVD image.  According to TeraCopy, it copied over at 90+ MB/s.

Sweet.

i have a the 2tb my book usb 3.0 drive and i was wondering if 120-140 meg transfer speed was where the usb3.0 should be?