My Book 1tb - Unable to read data

So my laptop HDD crashed recently, no problem, I have a very recent backup on the My Book.

I go an grab it and find that there is a hole where the mini USB adapter should be. The USB adapter snapped off its board in the drive enclosure.

No problem, I have a SATA drive caddy and the drive is unlocked. I plug it all in, the WD drive shows up in Windows 7 device manager, however Windows complains that the drive is not initialized. It will not obtain a drive letter and when it eventually does, Windows complains that it isn’t formatted.

I run R-Studio on it to try and recover files, the scan takes over 8 hours and produces a view that show the WD partition for software but all of the recognized files are useless and text files even show content like the following

&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&öÎÛ0lù ÔG©r )DÕ„ôœìÀY–Gn—c~É¿òôœìÀY–Gn—c~É¿òÌhß“¢m6Ž¥ªœýB¼vÍ&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&&†UÁœ Y ÜÜ^[ à&

Any ideas on how I can get any of this data back? 

Much appreciated!

The board that the USB port was attached to provides hardware encryption. About the only hope is see if you can get a new port soldered on. WD does not sell replacements. You can try finding another board on Ebay or from a similar drive. That may work it’s not guaranteed. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Look through the posts by fzabkar he explained a bit about the board numbers.

Joe

1 Like

Thanks for the note. I had not set encryption on my drive, but are you stating that it would be there anyway?

So I bought another caddy, same model (but has upgraded USB port).

I replaced my old drive with the data I want, into the caddy and connected it. Windows and Linux both show that the drive is RAW and no files exist.

With this in mind, should I run a full data recovery tool/suite on the drive or send the My Book USB caddy/unit to a recovery services company? With that encryption chip, does it differ between caddies for uniqueness?

What data recovery software would people recommend if I was to try myself? I downloaded a few products, but they all find junk file data like above