My 10 year old MyBook Duo (12TB) is eating up RED drives

My 10 year old DUO used to have drive failures in years, now it is one or two a year. Performance (especially RAID rebuild) is an issue.

One possibility is the WD RED changed to SMR technology, which seems to have problem with higher loads, and my DUO load may be higher than in my earlier years. A drive failed this morning, possibly associated with a power glitch. I keep a 6TB RED drive on hand, and have replaced the bad drive and rebuilding the RAID.

I just ordered a RED Plus (CMR technology) as ready replacement, and hope it will last longer.

My wife has a DUO that I installed for her when I installed mine. I think she has one drive failure in 10 years. But hers is much less active.

In addition to the RED Plus drives, could I benefit from upgrading to a new DUO and get better performance and capacity (16TB)? Does the latest DUO come with RED, RED Plus or RED Pro drives? If the base drive is a RED, is it possible to order the DUO with RED Plus drives?

The product description does not identify the drive model.

Hi @Manotee ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask