Must unplug power suppy to WD TV Live Gen3 to get it to boot up/operate/turn on

As the subject line says, I have to unplug the WD TV Live Gen3 (Model WDBHG70000NBK, Serial , Firmware 1.11.14) to get it to “come alive” and boot up and start working. If I just turn the power on with the remote, the TV just says “No Signal”. I have to reboot the device by unplugging it from power entirely to get it to work.

I have done a Reset both through the remote/software and with the hard button on the bottom of the box. No change.

1 Like

Hi there, if you hold the power button for three seconds, what happens?

I don’t know, haven’t tried it or heard of it. What’s it supposed to do?

I’m not sure why holding the power button for 3 seconds works.  But it seems to have worked for me.  Thank you very much!

I think I seem to have nailed down the issue for me.  I have found that if I’m watching Netflix and then push the power button without exiting the Netflix application, then on the subsequent use of the WDTV Live SMP, I will have to recycle the power by either holding down the power button for 3 seconds, or pulling the power cord.  If I exit the Netflix application before pushing the power button, I don’t have this issue.  Hope this might help someone.

1 Like

I’m having the identical issue to  bagagt1. If I turn it off while in Netfilx I have an issue. But any other place I seem to be fine.

Just an FYI, it took me long enough, but I opened a proper thread on this issue.  

http://bit.ly/WLIUa4

1 Like

I’ve been having issues very similar to what’s described here.  It seems that sometimes I power on the unit and although the light is on, I don’t see anything!  I have been power cycling like the rest of you.

Last night I ran into that issue and tried something slightly different – instead of power cycling I just unplugged the HDMI and then plugged the HDMI back in.  That seemed to do the trick for me!  It’s actually a little harder to do that than to cycle the power, but the big advantage is you don’t need to wait for a reboot, i.e. the unit stays powered the whole time.  Does that work for anyone else?  I’ll have to start paying attention to whether this is tied to Netflix.  I think you’re on to something there…

bgriffis wrote:

I’ve been having issues very similar to what’s described here.  It seems that sometimes I power on the unit and although the light is on, I don’t see anything!  I have been power cycling like the rest of you.

Last night I ran into that issue and tried something slightly different – instead of power cycling I just unplugged the HDMI and then plugged the HDMI back in.  That seemed to do the trick for me!  It’s actually a little harder to do that than to cycle the power, but the big advantage is you don’t need to wait for a reboot, i.e. the unit stays powered the whole time.  Does that work for anyone else?  I’ll have to start paying attention to whether this is tied to Netflix.  I think you’re on to something there…

Did you try selecting another HDMI or input on your TV and then reselecting the HDMI input that is connected to your WD player. The reselection may allow the player to re-connect to the TV as they must handshake to discover their respective capabilities.

I’m going to try switching the inputs on the TV the next time I run into the issue.  I was thinking the same thing! I hit it randomly (or maybe not if it’s tied to Netflix) so it may be another day or two before I see the issue.  I’m really hopeful that switching TV inputs to something else and then back will fix the issue.  Then I could just program my harmony remote to do that every single time no matter what and I wouldn’t have to worry about this any more!

Maybe I can “force” the issue to occur by turning off from Netflix directly and then I can try this out sooner.  I’ll post an update once I get a chance.  Or maybe someone will beat me to it.

I have tried switching inputs, no luck for me. Hopefully you’ll have better luck.

I have not tried pulling the HDMI cable out and putting it back in yet, will try that tonight.

The only thing that works is either remember not to shut off the system while it’s still in netflix, or when it does just sit there with the power light on and no video pull the power.

I too have a Harmony remote. I programmed the WD Live “HOME” button into it so I could easily press that when done with Netflix. This works most of the time, unless I forget to press HOME before shutting it off.