Must restart or unplug power if i want to watch video everytime

Every time I turn on my WDTV Live hub or WDTV Live and I go to play a video file it get stuck at the black screen with an arrow going in a circle and the only way for me to watch a file is for me to either unplug the power source or to go into setting and restart the device. This is extremely annoying. I have even reset the devices to factory setting and still no luck. I think the problems started after the last two firmware updates. I love the WDTV series and have had them for over 5 years this is the first problem I have ran into.

this is the issue aperantly wd devices do not support hard drives i have been told this several times by wd the biggest issue is the size of your drive i would not plug in anything over 2 tb this is the issue i have been plauged with with the newer device  video stops playing multible listing of the drive all around issues from multible titles listed  i have even tried running a pogoplug device and i have even more issues

this doesnt make sense though because i have had my live hub snice it came out and didn’t have the problem until recently and the same goes for my wdtv live. the HD i have plugged into my live is only 500gb. i have a feeling its a firmware issue but i just rolled it back and still had the same issue. i also cant rewind or fastfwd video files, when i do i get an error saying the video file isnt supported…but ive been watching it for an hour already, how is that possible? after that i must restart again.

Does this happen with all video types or just one format?

-P

All that I use…mp4, mkv, avi

I have no issues… even with 5 Drives attached with avi,mkv,mov,wmv,iso … Running Live Hub Firmware 3.05.10

From left to right…

• WDTV Live Hub…1 TB
  • WD Elements SE…1TB
  • Seagate Freeagent Desktop…500GB
  • WD Elements…1TB
  • WD Elements…1TB
  • Seagate Freeagent…120GB

Impressive, I wish I could figure out what is wrong. Its been like this on both devices for the past few months. I was hoping this past firmware update was going to fix it but it didn’t

have you got 2 Live Hubs ?

Do movies play from the Internal Drive without any problems ?

have you tried a different external usb drive ?

how far back did you rollback firmware ?   (like i said, i’m 3.05.10 and don’t have problems)

maybe rollback firmware on one of them to test ?

maybe run a checkdisk on your 500gb external drive ?

I have a live hub in the bedroom and wdtv live in living room with a WD elements 500gb connected to it. both with same problems. I don’t know the exact firmware I rolled it back to I will have to check I know it was 2 before this last update. My next try was going to be to format the hard drives

timelord wrote:

this is the issue aperantly wd devices do not support hard drives i have been told this several times by wd the biggest issue is the size of your drive i would not plug in anything over 2 tb this is the issue i have been plauged with with the newer device  video stops playing multible listing of the drive all around issues from multible titles listed  i have even tried running a pogoplug device and i have even more issues

Hogwash. I have been using a 3tb drive with my Hub for almost 2 years with zero issues related to the drive.

Might be a network thing or a hard drive and I only say this as BOTH your Hub and Live player started doing this at the same time. I have the latest FW on both of mine (Hub and Live Plus) and do not have this problem.

I tried disconnecting one device and testing still no luck. I even formatted the hard drives and reset my router and reset the device ti factory setting still nothing, I am out of options.

Well hummm, if both units funtion in ALL other respects, i.e. playing video from the internet via the installed apps, then it might be a problem with the way your video files were created.

Do the apps on both devices play video for you or are they doing the same thing?

for me it happens everytime and for every type of file. after restarting the WD TV Hub it recognize every file.
this problem was not there in previous version of firmware.

Note: i have latest firmware which came last month.