Must rebuild RAID f/2017 MyBookDuo - but can I rebuild trust in the unit?

In my 2017 My Book Duo one 6 TB drive failed. (One red LED only…) Windows 10 tower PC. I was lucky to spot this and endured 80 hours of copying to move photographs into the only other hard drive that could accept 3.7 TB immediately. I had my fingers crossed the whole time an stayed off that machine. So I believe the data (images) to be safe. WD support confirms that adding a working Red drive of equal or higher capacity will allow the RAID database to rebuild, and I think I can clear a RED 6TB HD that spent some time inside one of my Synology NAS boxes (which are backup devices in my set-up.)

If I can make some use of this storage, I’d feel less wasteful. Throwing out the Duo seems a bit harsh to the wallet and the planet. The use I assign must be matched to appropriate trust I can give to this “one-failed” unit. I do have lots of space for data inside the tower, but keeping a copy of 250,000 images (probably mirrored from an entirely different drive) that I can grab in a disaster/evacuation is a benefit.

I will try to find the “right” data to store on this, but I am interested in experience and comments from other forum members. I saw a comment - in this forum - from a few years ago that not only the capacity must match but the exact model designator, too. (Comment from a user, not a Mod.)

1 Like

I’m curious to know too. Obviously if one drive failed, the replacement drive must match the existing drive capacity. However, does the model has to as well, whether it’s red EFAX or EFRX?

Christopher,
I asked WD today about this and other “RAID re-building” steps. There are two WD Red HD letter codes. The only difference between these two RED units is internal recording technology, and they can be mixed. I think you know that the smallest drive (capacity) in the array determines the final storage. The most important part of today’s discussion is that after warranty, WD has NO solution to restore a failed MyBook Duo after the end of the warranty. The encryption is on the enclosure motherboard - if we users do not catch the unit before it is fully failed (so as to hurriedly copy all data off the array) we will have no access to our files. We cannot buy an empty enclosure to restore. Perhaps a multi-thousand-dollar data recovery contract will work, perhaps not.

So this is just like any external drive: although there is a redundant disk for certain kinds of failure, we need to have good back-up procedures in place.

If I get this box working it will only save less important data, or I will strip out the drives for other simpler enclosures. I am trying a re-build with a different Red drive - now 75% done, but there is still one bright crimson LED lit next to the same “#1 Drive” label on the front that alerted me to the need to get data off the drive!

Motherboard fault instead of hard drive fail? There appear to have been no bad sectors (so far) on the HD removed according to CHKDSK (which still has some platter real estate to finish…)
I may be throwing away this enclosure and going to GoodSync or Macrium to mirror in real time my Lightroom and other photo, admin content from internal hard drives to a way bigger but simpler external HD. A form of redundancy, and I have always had NAS drives elsewhere in the house collecting the minute-to-minute changes here in the office. And Crash Plan for true out-of0state cloud back-up.

I’m done with spending extra $$ for a consumer-level RAID solution. My mistake.

Wow. That is very disappointing and worrysome. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. I purchased my enclosure in 2017 as well and I have one red light blinking for Disk#2 under a RAID1 configuration.

I recently ordered over the weekend a separate HD to (hopefully) copy over from the working Disk#1. I will not be rebuilding it. I will hook it up to a computer and transfer the data that way. I’m afraid that performing a full rebuild will cause stress to the working HD and perhaps make it fail. Once I do, I think I will not use the My Book Duo any longer if there is an encryption that only the existing enclosure can read. That is terrible!

In your case, I would be careful rebuilding again as it may cause failure to your Disk#1. I also did some research and hopefully as you are rebuilding, you are using the same HD model as the one currently in your My Book Duo. I’ve read WD has been deceptive about their SMR and CMR RED models. Make sure your new Red Drive is similar or it can cause issues.

Let me know how your rebuild goes. And hopefully it works out

Christopher,
Sad that you have now the same issue I faced on the 15th. I had blinking red on the Power LED and red solid color next to “Disk 1”. The drive still read the data correctly. Took a hour or two to clear lots of space on a drive and I had to use a USB “dock” so the USB3 MyBook Duo was going to copy to a USB HD. That copy took 80 hours! Yikes… more grey hairs…
We could both look positively on the experience that a disk failure was not complete and that RAID saved us, or we could wonder if the enclosure engineering is up to the task and caused the failure. I have had few (any?) HD failures in years of depending on spinning platter storage.
My issue was complicated by my HUMAN failure: I had mistakenly turned off the NAS backup procedure almost a year before! I have CrashPlan but that’s a way off site process to recover - and slow. The NAS box is upstairs… I had stopped the backup in software… Stupid mistake.
To confirm the two recording techs can coexist… And I pulled the other drive to see that the four-letter code was the same. I had a 6TB Red drive on the shelf here.

I will use mirror software going forward to keep a “snapshot” on a different HD. I will watch the NAS process like a hawk!, and I will keep CrashPlan.
Like you I will almost definitely trash the enclosure and use the drives in something else.
Synology NAS boxes are good stuff BTW.
Oh, if you can transfer to a SATA-connected hard drive inside the computer that copy process will go a lot faster. Hard drives are getting very cheap. I use a tower with lots of hard drives for photo editing, so I’m spoiled… Current laptops are harder to kit out.
Write back if you have any further thoughts or interesting events. My re-build (to see if it will turn off the red light by Disk 1) is now 86% completed after about 14-16 hours. This is a two-six-GIG terabyte rig. Fast i7 seventh-gen processor, but I think the motherboard of the MyBook Duo is doing the work, not the tower CPU.
The supposedly-failed drive is going through a long CHKDSK /r process to see if there are bad sectors. 91% done, maybe 12 hours.
Jonathan
Seattle, USA