Music thumbnails not showing in album or artist view

No matter what I do, I cannot get album thumbnails to work on the Music / Album page. If I select an album, the thumbnails show correctly on each track. I expected this to work from the firmware 1.01.11 release notes.

All music is stored on usb attached devices formated either FAT32 or HFS. WD TV Live firmware 1.04.17_V. Music is arranged in a pretty standard folder structure: Artist / Album. I have tried deleting the .wd_tv folder and turning the power off to the unit multiple times.

FLAC files

I have flac files with embedded cover art (jpg). The thumbnails for the individual tracks are shown correctly. When I add a folder.jpg to each album folder I can also see album thumbnails when navigating to Music / Folders / USB1 / Artist. Thumbnails don’t work navigating to Music / Album.

MP3 files

I have mp3 files that are converted from the flac files via Max ( http://sbooth.org/Max/)..) The album art shows correctly in iTunes but not at all on the WD TV Live. I guess the wrong ID3 tag is being used. If I convert the tags to ID3 v2 (using id3v2) and add the picture with ID3 Editor, thumbnails show for the individual tracks. If I add a folder.jpg in the album folder, I can also see album thumbnails when navigating to Music / Folders / USB1 / Artist. Thumbnails don’t work navigating to Music / Album.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I have the same problem with MP3 processing.

The artwork shows when playing a track, it shows when navigating by artist, but when I go through the usb2/music/album route, the artwork does not display.

If I then select an album and then play a track, the artwork appears.

I have tried everything, MP3TAG and MediaMonkey software to embedd the artwork.

Unplugging from the mains to reset cache.

deleting the WDTV folder to rebuild database.

I decided to buy this unit for the simple reason that it supports lots of file types, hard drive attachment etc.

My fiend has an Apple TV, he plugged it in and it was working perfectly in minutes.

I know it has’nt the functionality of the WD TV Live, but I am begining to wonder if I have made the right decision.

I must have spent 20-30 hours trying to sort this problem out…

Can anyone help!!!

I am looking into this. Thanks for your feedback.