Music in WDMyCloud not showing up in Win10 groove music app

hi all

just upgraded to win10, the film & tv app able to show all my movies in wdmycloud. but music is not showing up in groove music app. anyone has any success in this?

thx

Looks like it may be a limitation of the Groove app in Windows 10. See this article for more information:

What has changed with DLNA/Media Streaming between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10?

If that article is right then one might be able to stream to Groove using another non Windows 10 PC that has the DNLA server of Window Media Player active. 

Edit to add: Groove apparently won’t recognize and stream from Window Media Player on another PC configured for streaming. If one did an “upgrade” on their PC to Windows 10 over their existing Windows OS they can still access other DLNA servers (like the WD My Cloud) by using Windows Media Player which is still available once upgraded to Windows 10. The other option is to included the WD My Cloud Share folder containing the music in Groove so it knows to scan that folder for music.

I am having the same problem

W10 upgrade happened yesterday…

the pc sees mycloud network drive and allows me to use “file explorer” to access the files on it and even double click one (which then plays in “groove music” the default player)

however the music on the share folder will not add to the library in “groove music” even though it was “looking at” the right place (settings that updated itself on the upgrade) - and even though i deleted those links and relinked them.

Nor will the legacy Windows Media App see any music anywhere off my pc i.e. the network drive even though before the upgrade windows 7 did see it and list all the music in my windows media player library.

Sony’s Media Go program does still see and play the network drive files that it happily lists in its library.  

How can I make Windows own apps,  “Groove music”  - “Windows Media Player” and “Photos”  actually add files on the network drive to their respective libraries…  ?? 

( i cant access the drive via either the IP address or WD My cloud Desktop icon…)

I found that I had to close and then reopen the Grove Music app after setting a specific folder/location on the WD My Cloud that contains the music files before Grove would actually populate the Albums, Artists, and Songs categories.

One needs to make sure to point Grove Music to the folders containing the music via the “Change where we look” option, then click the Add Folder option (the plus inside a circle icon) on the “Build your collection from your local music files” dialog box. Its possible it may take Grove a while to catalog the files if there are a large amount of files. It might be better to map the music directory on the WD My Cloud to one’s local PC and point Grove at the mapped drive instead.

Here is an example. I don’t have any music on my local PC at the moment. The albums found and listed are stored on the WD My Cloud. It should also be noted that the folder “Music” on the WD My Cloud is a private share (“Public Access” set to Off) that has the “Media Serving” set to On.

On a side note, its possible that when Windows 10 was installed it configured the network connection as a “Public network”, or has has turned off “Network discovery”, in which case it will block certain or all access to local network devices like the WD My Cloud. See the following link for the general directions/steps to switch from a Public Network to a Private Network which should allow Windows 10 to access devices, like the WD My Cloud, on the local network: How to change Windows 10 network type from Public to Private

One can enable or disable “Network Discovery” by following the general directions in this link even though its for Windows 7: Enable or disable network discovery

thanks… as far as i can see (and i have removed and relinked a couple of times (and to the entire folder and then to the specific sub folder) i have done those suggestions…  wd dashboard has it as “public” not “private” though on mine…

ive also checked the w10 settings that it is a private network and it does find and allow me to play music from the network drive via file explorer…  

i will try leaving the pc on all night with only groove music activated. 

the sony software is working, so i am trying not to upset it with my changes :wink:

in case anyone finds this thread by searching…

i (having done the things above)  also left the pc running over night with the sleep mode turned off… 

i opened windows media library (the legacy media player from w7, starting with something that used to work)

at some point windows saw the folders (and other onlines ones) and added them to the “other libraries” and begun to add the music…

with 20,000 files this is taking many many many hours and so will be left on again tonight…

hopefully it wont “forget them” as soon as the program is closed or the pc turned off…

if it works i will try the same again with only groove music open. 

ive given up with w10 photos and bought some photo editor software.  

I had a similar problem where Groove was simply not recognizing music files on the WD Cloud. In my case I was able to resolve the problem by mapping the network drive to a ‘letter path’:

In File Explorer, right-click on the WD Cloud share, and select ‘Map Network Drive…’.