Multiple partitions and selective safepoints

Hi there

I have two very specific questions about the MyCloud. It would be great if someone could answer them.

Is it possible to create multiple partitions on the main drive?

And if so, is it possible to create separate safepoints for these partitions?

Many thanks for your help!

Moomin

Moomin wrote:

Hi there

I have two very specific questions about the MyCloud. It would be great if someone could answer them.

Is it possible to create multiple partitions on the main drive?

And if so, is it possible to create separate safepoints for these partitions?

Many thanks for your help!

Moomin

No and No. The OS is specific to having one drive configured. Second, safepoints create full backups including user and device data.

Lack of selective safepoints seems to be an obvious functionality omission.

If you are using My Cloud as a NAS, you may not want to backup the entire 2-4 TB of data – you want to just backup important folders.

Backing up the whole thing requires you to have another drive available of equal or greater size – i.e. another My Cloud like device.

Just put my decision of buying My Cloud on hold …

Champ wrote:

Lack of selective safepoints seems to be an obvious functionality omission.

If you are using My Cloud as a NAS, you may not want to backup the entire 2-4 TB of data – you want to just backup important folders.

Backing up the whole thing requires you to have another drive available of equal or greater size – i.e. another My Cloud like device.

Just put my decision of buying My Cloud on hold …

I understand and agree that would be a great feature to add. But its the same on their Mybook Live

Thanks for your answers, whsbuss.

It looks like I’ll be going for a 4TB My Cloud then. I have a MacBook Pro with a 3TB WD external drive directly attached to it. I’m hoping that with Time Machine, I’ll be able to back up both drives to My Cloud, so long as the latter plays nice with Time Machine (which previous posts would suggest it does).

Cheers