Multiple My CLouds on same home network

I am thinking about buying (2) 2 TB My Clouds for my home network. If I do, can I attach both to my network and have one be my backup for my devices and the other one be used as a backup for the primary My Cloud, kind of like a manual mirror concept? Alternatively, can I configure both of them to look like one drive so I’d end up with one virtual drive? Let me know what you think.

Can you have multiple My Cloud’s on the same local network? Yes.
Can you have one My Cloud back up to a second My Cloud on the local network? Yes.
Can you have multiple My Clouds linked to appear as a single My Cloud on the local network? No, Not officially anyway.
Can you mirror one My Cloud to a second My Cloud? Not really, best you can officially do is backup from one My Cloud to another. At the firmware level using SSH it might be possible to hack the firmware to issue an Rsync command when new data is copied to the My Cloud to copy that information to another My Cloud. It might be possible to use sync software (like Free File Sync) on the local computer to sync data to multiple My Clouds. Since I don’t use WD Sync I don’t know if that software can sync to multiple My Clouds simultaneously.

You should read the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) if you haven’t done so already to get an idea of the features, capabilities, and limitations of the My Cloud.

I have a 2TB and a 3TB MyCloud on my home network and the only issue i have is with port forwarding.

It would appear on my devices that one device with standard ports 80 and 443 associated with its IP address works fine with a port forward command on my router but no matter what i set the other device to (currently 8080 and 8443) and open these ports to the correct IP address on my router this device is always a relay connection??

I had many e-mail exchanges with WD regarding this issue but we never managed to find a resolution. Both units are working on remote access, however, it’s just one feels slightly slower due to the relay connection.

So the other device the ports has been set manually to 8080/8443 and also from the router these two ports has been routed to its local IP? Confirm it’s working try canyouseeme.org. If yes there must be some glitch try toggling the remote access off then on. If no, you probably need to check again the router setups.

By right you shouldn’t have to even do manual forwarding, the Dashboard should be smart enough to select unused ports for the UPnP NAT mapping which in this case it’s not.

Thanks Nazar78.

When i completed the firmware update yesterday the 3TB device set to 8080/8443 displayed port forwarding established on my dashboard for about 10mins, then dropped out again, very frustrating!! I have tried just about everything i can think of from toggling on/off, changing allocated ports both on mycloud and router and even letting it do it all itself hoping that UPnP will work but i have only seen port forwarding established twice and both time when first turned on or plugged in then drops out after about 10mins.

Definitely a problem with this drive i think but still operates OK on a relay connection.

When you placed both MyClouds to custom ports with the appropriate port forwardings for each, both went back to relay mode after 10mins? When it changes to relay mode, confirm with canyouseeme.org pointing to the changed ports. Also check your router admin page see if the UPnP ports are still allocated. If the results are ok, means something is wrong with WD side, need to contact their support.

I never managed to get 8080/8443 ports to connect directly; they always use relay mode.

I was never too sure whether I was supposed to forward 8080/8443 to 8080/8443 on the second MyCloud (identified by MAC address), or to 80/443 (i.e. pass through, or re-direct the ports). I can’t remember if I tried the latter.

As it happens, relay mode has the advantage that it survives when my router reboots and is given a new IP; I can continue to access it. Direct connection mode does not; I have to toggle cloud access on and off to re-establish connection. And I can’t do that remotely, so if my router reboots when I’m away, I lose remote access. So I leave it in relay mode…

Found new solution for other people reading thread this late - instead of choosing My Cloud in the backup options, choose NAS, and input the other devices local IP and SSH password, keep the username the same (SSHD). Then, you don’t even have to worry about port forwarding!

So the problem in 2019 is that the Mycloudhome has replaced the mycloud.

I am very uncertain that the mycloud home posesses the software functionality for the scenarios discussed here.

I have two myclouds on my network - a single drive and a 2 disk NAS. It can do all these tricks, except making the two drives appear as one drive. I have gotten the port forwarding stuff to work for remote access, but it requires some router configuration work (ie. You are playing with router software, not wd software). Short story is that you need to

1. assign dedicated external ports to the appropriate mycloud port (21,443,8443 etc). The external ports will be unique for each drive, the mycloud ports on each unit are probably the same.
  2. use a dns service that will map your router wan ip (which might change) to a domain name. (Asus provides a free service for this that I use)
  3. figure out a VPN solution, so others can’t snoop the packets you are communicating from pc to your home

It should be noted that the My Cloud Home line has not replaced the single bay My Cloud line. Instead the My Cloud Home is a completely different product with a different set of features and options. Many My Cloud Home users have discovered, after the fact, that the My Cloud Home cannot do some of the things one can do with the My Cloud line. The My Cloud Home, it could be argued, isn’t a true NAS, since the user doesn’t have as much control over the hardware/options as they do with the My Cloud line (both single bay and multi bay) or other NAS devices.

If one is using a My Cloud Home they should see the dedicated subforum for that device since it’s; setup, features and options are (often) different than the My Cloud line.

https://community.wd.com/c/home-cloud-storage/my-cloud-home

The My Cloud Home series is very different. My Cloud Home is for people with some family photos that don’t need have amounts of storage. My Cloud, on the other hand, is for people who need storage amounts such as 32TB and need fast access and more advanced features for various business workflows, unachievable with the my cloud home.