Multiple copies of files showing on PS3 and other small niggles

Hi,

sorry for the post, but a new user and very inexperienced, could do with a little help.

I bought my cloud to stop slopping flash drives between my PS3 and PCs to watch stuff on, and I have to say I’m genuinely delighted with the whole shooting match.

However, I have a slight niggle and was hoping somebody could help me out. When I go to the file structure on the PS3 I get multiple copies of the same file which isn’t there on any other device (my PS3 says it has 20 films in a folder my PC says it only has 12, 8 are duplicates that only the PS3 seems to know about). I can happily stream either copy of the file that it is showing so that seems to be working just fine although I had to change my MKV fiiles formats to avi (they did run off a flash drive plugged into the front of the PS3) but that isn’t an issue.

Any ideas?

Oh and if there is a WD to PS3 expert out there how do I delete a file from my PS3? Having watched an episode of a series it would be good to delete or move it (the orginal file is backed up in a non public area!) so that we know where we had gotten to… Again only a minor niggle and I am getting around that at the moment by deleting the file on my phone (for those interested one delete on my phone deletes multiple copies as discussed above so I’m fairly sure that this is a comms issue between the mycloud and the PS3)

Any help gratefully recieved

If you browse WD forums you will find a lot of comments describing firmware bugs of all their NAS products. The culprit is an incapable inhouse team putting very similar software into small MyCloud up to big NAS.

Imho it will take months or forever until you get a working firmware.

1 Like

Thank you Eli.

You are obviously very annoyed with regards to the WD product. However, I am genuinely delighted with it. As I said in the original post I consider these “bugs” as niggles, something I can live with. However, if you do have a fix, or anything helpful to add to it, I would be delighted to hear from you otherwise I wish you well and hope that you get your concerns addressed

Most probably soon yet another bug will show up and you change your mind :wink:

Only time will tell, and I can only tell you how I feel about it today and that is that I love my cloud and feel it is good value for the money I paid.

I can tell you that I have owned WD products for some time, my old WD passport has more bangs scratches and dents than I care to count and it keeps on going. I’m not expecting miracles just value for money which I feel I have at the moment. In the future that might change, as might requiremetns on what my NAS does

As much as I appreciate hearing about your concerns and experience I was sort of hoping for some help with my small niggles, do you have anything constructive to add on that topic?

Kev, another user reported the same thing a few months ago (well, similar at least):

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Issues-with-file-transfer-deletion-and-renaming/m-p/700912/highlight/true#M10161

1 Like

Thanks Tony I’ll give that a go when I get home tonight and let you know in the moring if it worked

Hi Tony,

Sorry tried both rescanning and rebuilding the DNLA database, but neither worked.

Any other ideas?

Eli.Tsigante wrote:

Do more gymastics, it helps a lot against frustration :open_mouth:

Again thank you for your comment. As I stated earlier I very happy with my NAS and maybe I am asking too much of a system that is generally exceeding my expectations. My only true frustration to date has been with comments which have neither offered any helpful insights or attempted to assist me in any way.

I may be a little confused as to what this forum is for, so I apologise if this is out of line. However, if I was as truely unhappy with the support and product capability as you seem to be, I would complain until I was able to return my device for a refund. At which point I would stop, move on with my life and buy something else from somebody else being more stringent with my initial requirements.

Kev, just ignore him.

Check this thread out:    http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Don-t-feed-the-Troll-Be-forewarned/m-p/715204#U715204

Eli is one those folks (if not actually the same person who has registered at least 50+ different user IDs) 

Unfortunately, since I don’t have a PS3, there’s not much I can do to test / help out.

But if you browse the DLNA server manually (http://ip address of your NAS:9000) and do not see duplicates there, nor see duplicates when you browse using DLNA from other systems, I can’t help but think it’s an issue specific to the PS3?

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Kev, just ignore him.

Check this thread out:    http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Don-t-feed-the-Troll-Be-forewarned/m-p/715204#U715204

Eli is one those folks (if not actually the same person who has registered at least 50+ different user IDs) 

Unfortunately, since I don’t have a PS3, there’s not much I can do to test / help out.

But if you browse the DLNA server manually (http://ip address of your NAS:9000) and do not see duplicates there, nor see duplicates when you browse using DLNA from other systems, I can’t help but think it’s an issue specific to the PS3?

Tony thank you for the advice I will try this tonight and report back in case it can help anybody else tomorrow

Hi Tony

I got this working at least for the multiple files, so I’m giving you the Kudos! I’ll open another thread to deal with how to delete files with the PS3

I had to go one step further than you suggested. I deleted the copies in the DNLA library as suggested, and this deleted the multiple copies the PS3 was seeing, however whenever I manipulated any of the files (added moved or copied) I was getting duplicated again. So I manually deleted the whole library, then rebooted the NAS which forced a rebuild of the library and since then I have been add move and copy files into the sharing folders without any duplication. Now this isn’t to say that this won’t reoccur but to be fair I played with the system for a couple of hours last night and transfered my entire music library over (7.000 plus tracks) overnight without a single duplicate appearing this morning so I’m happy.

Hopefully this will help somebody