Multiple Connectivity

I am looking at buying a NAS Drive, primarily for Storage Expansion. I would like to use it for a Wii U, PS3 and multiple PCs. I have a few questions.

1. Can I partition the NAS Drive into 3 (maybe more) parts and format them differently? One Fat32, Others NTFS ect.

2. Would it be possible to connect two Systems on just 1 USB 3.0 port? Say if I use a USB Y Cable. If not, then would it need to have 2 USB 3.0 ports? If neither, how, if possible, would I connect everything together?

3. Could I use a NAS Drive for wireless storage? For connecting the multiple PCs.

I’m interested in the 4TB WD My Cloud

However I am open to suggestions.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

The My Cloud unit is formatted in a specific filesystem that will let you use the unit either on a mac or a PC as a network location. So you do not have to reformat your unit, regarding the video game consoles you will be able to stream media through he unit as long as it has DLNA capabilities.

You should be able to connect 2 USB drives to the unit as well with no problems if you use a powered USB hub.

If you have a Wi FI router and you connect the My Cloud to it you should be able to see the unit on your local network.

1 Like

For #3 have you checked out the WD My Passport Wireless. It is shown in the March issue of Maximum PC P.76-77.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

1 Like

Hi, thank you for the welcome and the quick response!

I think I may have worded Question 1 wrongly (unless I didn’t understand the answer properly). Unfortunately for the Wii U has a Storage capacity of a mere 8GB (~3GB Usable), and I need to updrage it’s storage. Which brought me here, to WD My Cloud, it would be absolutely perfect for me if it could do what I asked :slight_smile:
I need to upgrade the storage so I can download more Games/Software onto the system. So what I wanted to have asked was if I could use the WD My Cloud as expandable storage for 2 completely different systems (both formatted differenty)? Which actually leads me to a another question. I almost forgot that the Wii U only supports an expandable drive of up to 2TB Capacity, therefore if I were to partition a 4TB Drive, would the system see it as a 2TB Drive, or whatever I’d partition it to have?

I have breifly looked at WD My Passport Wireless, although I do not think it fits my needs. I appreciate the suggestion though :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

You’re confusing external USB drives and a NAS.  The USB port on the Mycloud isn’t going to function they way you want.  I would just go buy USB drives for your purpose.

1 Like

I see, well thank you for the input.
Is there anything that you know of that may come close to what my intentions are?

Would the WD My Book be suitable for what I require?