MP4 Audio Issue

I have a small annoying issue and am wondering if anyone has any insight into the issue.

Virtually all video formats play perfectly for me except MP4.

I have my WDTV (latest firmware) connected to my A/V receiver via HDMI, Optical and Composite cables. I have the WDTV audio out set to HDMI.

When I attempt to play the MP4 file I get no audio. If I got to options, it reports one AAC audio stream. The audio will play if I exit out of the video, go to “Settings” and change the audio output to “Stereo”. Then I have to restart the video and change it back afterward.

This works but is an annoyance.

The problematic MP4 files contain the following:

Video: AVC 1280x544@24fps (Header stripping)(High@L5.1)(CCABC/6 Ref Frames)

Audio: 48.0 KHz, 2 channels, AAC(LC)

Any insight?

I am not sure if this will help you, but I frequently encode video files into mp4 format and they work fine. I usually use total video converter to do the conversion to AVC H264 mp4 files. Normally, I set the conversion to use the original video file’s frame rate and bit rate for both audio and video, and I also use the original video size. The mp4s play back fine with no problems at all.

I have also used DVDFab to do the conversion to mp4, and I don’t have any problems with it.

Because of VOB stuttering problems with the newer firmware, I had to downgrade the WD to version 1.03.49. I did not try playing mp4s with the newer firmwares, so I don’t know if it made any difference.