Moving files/ renaming etc

I’m trying to figure out how I can rename a folder on the cloud. Is there even a way to do it?

If not, how can I move files from one folder to the next in a fast manner?

As of now, when I move files, its only moving them at about ~2-3mb per second which is agonizingly slow. If the files are on the cloud already, there should be a fast way to move them as you do on your computer.

It feels like it working through the internet to move files which it should not do.

redcore44 wrote:

I’m trying to figure out how I can rename a folder on the cloud. Is there even a way to do it?

If not, how can I move files from one folder to the next in a fast manner?

As of now, when I move files, its only moving them at about ~2-3mb per second which is agonizingly slow. If the files are on the cloud already, there should be a fast way to move them as you do on your computer.

It feels like it working through the internet to move files which it should not do.

Are you talking about renaming a share folder or some ordinary child folder within the parent share ? For all the shares that you create from the EX2’s dashboard, you can go to the Shares menu and change the name there. For all the other child folders, simply connect from network and rename them like any other from your PC

You can’t change the name of the default folders like: Public, Smartware, etc

As for your 2-3MB/s transfer spee, i believe that you are using WIFI. I shall show you how i got from 2MB/s up to 15-20MB/s over wifi. Please check my topic: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/What-to-do-to-increase-transfer-speed/m-p/847789#M2566

When you are tranfering files like you would do from your normal PC, i believe that everything passes trough your PC and then back to the nas again. You could try using the WebFile Explorer App from EX2’s dashboard. There you have the option to move files and maybe it will be faster. Other options using SSH, but i’m not the right person since i have no idea how to do it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply again adicrst!

I’m reading the article but it is not telling me what exactly to do or what to change?

Im using this router:  http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Advanced-Simultaneous-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B004T9RR4A

I deleted the other folders - smartware/ time machine backup because they dont have any use for me.

I’m about to do the same for the public folder because it’s a redundant file name for my business.

I opened the WD My Cloud App and it is not showing the new folder I created? It just shows public.

What should I do?

redcore44 wrote:

Thanks for the reply again adicrst!

I’m reading the article but it is not telling me what exactly to do or what to change?

Im using this router:  http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Advanced-Simultaneous-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B004T9RR4A

I deleted the other folders - smartware/ time machine backup because they dont have any use for me.

I’m about to do the same for the public folder because it’s a redundant file name for my business.

I opened the WD My Cloud App and it is not showing the new folder I created? It just shows public.

What should I do?

1. update laptop’s wifi drivers

2. with a smartphone and WIFI Analyzer app, check if there are many wifi networks available. If there are, select a channel that is less used ( 11,12, etc isntead of 6 as many have as default)

3. if you do not have older laptops, select to brodcast only for N devices instead of b/g

4. test what channel bandwith gives you the best trough put. Either 20ghz or 40 ghz ( to see this, look at wifi speed indicated on your laptop’s wifi properties)

5. encryption reduces transfer rate so test if you really need TKIP+AES or just AES

6. i do not believe that you laptops have 5G wifi antenas, so you could buy USB attached 5G antenas ( optional)

I do not believe that you can delete Public folder from EX2. To create a new folder ( share), go to EX2’s dashboard Browser> \ex2_name > shares > add share icon

I strongly recomand that you check the security settings after creating a share and make sure that your user has full access.

Let’s say you have created share Bussiness via EX2’s dashboard, now you can go and open this share from your network My computer > in the address bar type \ex2_name or \ip_of_your_nas.

you will access Public and Business. Now you can create into the share Business other folders like you would normaly do on your computer.

If you did all this and still can’t see the shares, post here a prinscrean with what shares you have from EX2’s dashboard and what exactly do you see when accessing from network ( or WD app which again, i do not used nor recommad)

1 Like

Thanks a bunch for the nice explanation!:slight_smile:

I have another question: 

My computer is connecting to the server just fine, as for one of my co-workers, his computer is having a hard time to connect with it.

Under his network, the “WDMycloudex2” is not doing anything and says it is not accessible.

When he opens a word document and tries to save it on the server, its basically impossible because it wont connect. But when he clicks on the “WD My Cloud EX2 Public Share” desktop icon, he gets connected to it right away but only on that file explorer window and not on the word. What do i do?

I also typed in the \WDMyCloudEX2 directory and it cannot find it.

Hard to pin-point the problem. Try first by enabeling Network Discovery: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

also maybe this will help:

1. set a static ip to the NAS

2. make sure firewall doesn’t interfear with the NAS ( try with firewall turned off)

3. make sure the PC can ping or resolve names of other devices on the network

4. depending on what enviroment you have there ( active directory, subnets, etc) make sure the user has access on the network devices, the PC is on the same network and workgroup with the NAS

5. is this problem over LAN or WIFI ?

6. if you connect the NAS directly into the PC does it work ?

…etc