Moving files / folders from one share to another?

I am a new My Cloud EX4 owner.

I created a share for music, and made it public. I moved my music to that share, then after the fact I realized that in the public share there is a shared music folder.

I’d like to move all fo the music from the share I created to that shared music folder, so I can remove the other music share that I created (it is redundant afterall).

There doesn’t appear to be an easy way to do this, at least not one that will do it without a lot of network traffic.

I know I can open the two network shares, and move the files / folders that way, but that will mean the network traffic of bringing the data to my PC, then moving it back to the EX4. 

I’d like to know if there is a way to do it without having to involve transferring any of the files across the network. Like a built in file manager on the EX4 for example?

I have used the My Cloud PC application to move some folders, but I have so many files and folders to move that this would be impractical for my music. The application doesn’t let me select all the files and folders in a share to move. I can only cut / paste one folder at a time.

Anyone have ideas?

LJWillmann wrote:

I’d like to know if there is a way to do it without having to involve transferring any of the files across the network. Like a built in file manager on the EX4 for example?

Well, the EX4 does have a file manager built in; have you tried it?

As far as I can tell the built-in file manager does not work.  I have two EX4’s and on both selecting the file manager in the Apps tab only gets you a spinning wheel.

I moved a large tree of folders from one location to another with the desktop app and it worked very quickly so no network copying was occuring.  I don’t recall if I moved the folder from one share to another however but it’s worth a try.