Movies not playing smoothly that work fine on my computer

Houseofjanzen wrote:

"it is also possible that you have Format settings, GMC  >0

it is problem for hardware player"

Sorry, I have no idea what this means, let alone what to do about it.

Like he said, your MediaInfo output doesn’t seem to be complete; you need to paste the FULL text output, even stuff that doesn’t seem important to you.  You can censor the file name if you like but everything else MUST be untouched.

The comment about GMC relates to a missing line that we can’t see.  It’s an encoding option that works fine for PC-based media players but simply does not work on hardware media players like the Live.  The only option is to re-encode the file.

Please paste the full MediaInfo output.  We’re doing our best to help but it’s kinda hard when we don’t have the full picture.  ;)

I’m gonna try re-pasting the info and hopefully whatever you guys need shows up this time. Sorry, I’ve been pasting everything I can, so I honestly don’t know why some of what you’re expecting isn’t showing up. This is my first time using the mediainfo program but I didn’t expect it to be difficult. Just another example of how technology hates me. Anyways, here’s what I got this time with the same file. I’m trying a different display to see if that helps.

Hmm, I don’t see anything about GMC but I’ll post it anyways. I’m gonna go back and re-check previous posts to see if there’s anything someone posted that I missed that I’m doing wrong or something. Thanks again for all your help guys/gals.

Complete name :
/Users/Janzen/Movies/Newly Downloaded TV:Movies/Girls Just Want to Have Fun.avi
Format :
AVI
Format/Info :
Audio Video Interleave
File size :
526 MiB
Duration :
1h 23mn
Overall bit rate :
882 Kbps
Writing application :
MEncoder Sherpya-SVN-r26446-4.2.3
Writing library :
MPlayer
Video
ID :
Format :
MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile :
Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP :
No
Format settings, QPel :
No
Format settings, GMC :
No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix :
Default (H.263)
Codec ID :
XVID
Codec ID/Hint :
XviD
Duration :
1h 23mn
Bit rate :
748 Kbps
Width :
320 pixels
Height :
240 pixels
Display aspect ratio :
4:3

Frame rate :
25.000 fps
Color space :
YUV
Chroma subsampling :
4:2:0
Bit depth :
8 bits
Scan type :
Progressive
Compression mode :
Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :
Stream size :
446 MiB (85%)
Writing library :
XviD 1.1.2 (UTC 2006-11-01)
Audio
ID :
Format :
MPEG Audio
Format version :
Version 1
Format profile :
Layer 3
Mode :
Joint stereo
Mode extension :
MS Stereo
Codec ID :
Codec ID/Hint :
MP3
Duration :
1h 23mn
Bit rate mode :
Variable
Bit rate :
121 Kbps
Channel(s) :
2 channels
Sampling rate :
44.1 KHz
Compression mode :
Lossy
Stream size :
72.1 MiB (14%)
Alignment :
Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration :
26 ms (0.65 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration :
548 ms

Houseofjanzen wrote:

Anyone have any more ideas? Am I just screwed here? :frowning:

To be honest, I think this is a compression issue - not a HUB-issue. I’ve encounterede the same issue on several files, a constant little jitter, especialle in camera-pans. When I’ve played these files on my computer I’ve never noticed it - but only because it is a smaller screen, and perhaps because VLC has some smoothing-feature… then you play the files on your 40" screen and all the compression artefacts show…

Try to play the files on your computer again, and look really closely - I bet you the same jitter will show…

specifically found and downloaded this movie
checked mediainfo - exactly the same, including the file size.

movie playing smoothly on my TV

We use same players and FW

probably a problem in your TV.
likely to TV does not support P50 videomodes

Which TV model do you use?
Give a link to this model on the manufacturer’s website

do you use direct link from player to tv?

or you use AV receiver?

for you easier to find and download movie with 24/30 fps - it is NTSC

25fps - it is european standart PAL

I’ve experienced the problem and I believe it has to do with the Xvid codec.  Anything encoded with XVid stutters for me on the Hub.  Doesn’t matter what container, both avi and mkv also stutter with Xvid.  I also tried changing the audio track.  The only difference is XVid.

I took a video that was stuttering and ran it through handbrake and it now plays smooth.  

I checked

Even the European company Philips in their U.S. models do not support 50P videomodes.

Probably you have similar situation with your TV and you can’t look 25fps content smoothly.

Thanks again for all your help everybody. Sorry I’ve been away from my computer for a while.

My TV is a 42 inch Sony Bravia, bought here in Ontario Canada.

I’m not familiar with that brake program someone mentioned. Is that a program I can run the video file through after I’ve downloaded it to fix this issue?

Let me know. Thanks again.

http://handbrake.fr/details.php

I tried running it through handbrake. I didn’t change any of the settings (since I didn’t know which I should try changing) but just running it through into mpeg-4 format didn’t have any effect at all. Same jittering.

2   Houseofjanzen

My TV is a 42 inch Sony Bravia, bought here in Ontario Canada.

TV Sony Bravia for american market do not support 50p videomodes and they can’t play smoothly 25P (PAL) content

for example, see specification on [40" BRAVIA EX720 Series HDTV](http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666294401#specifications “40” BRAVIA EX720 Series HDTV")

Video

• Video Signal : 1080/24p (HDMI™ only), 1080/60i, 1080/60p (HDMI™ / Component), 720/60p, 480/60i, 480/60p

I repeat
easier way for solve this problem for you - find and download NTSC (24 or 30fps) rip this movie

Can you explain exactly what you mean by “find and download NTSC (24 or 30fps) rip this movie” please? Sorry, I don’t follow.

He was making a suggestion that is not allowed on these forums…

Do you have HDMI set to Auto with AutoFramerate Matching enabled in your video settings?

If so, change your video output settings to 1080p/60 (or 720p/60 if your TV only supports that) and see if that helps with the poor playback.

Alternatively, run the file through Handbrake again but make sure to force the Framerate in the Video options to 29.97 (NTSC Video).

As a side-note, the problem with downloading movies from the internet is you have no control over how they are encoded.  A lot of the time, problems are due to bad encoding, and no amount of troubleshooting will solve it.  In this case, it seems you’ve downloaded a PAL movie that doesn’t play well on your NTSC TV.

If you are ripping your own movies from the source (e.g. NTSC DVDs) and encoding with a recent build of Handbrake, you shouldn’t be having any problems.