Movie will sometimes freeze while Fast Forwarding (FF)

I have a movie that I backed up from my DVD to my hard drive.  Several times now when I have tried to fast forward to a part that I want my wife to see (somewhere about the middle of the movie) the screen freezes and then I get the little circular arrow as if it is doing something.  I can go back to the menu and search other movies but nothing happens.  It’s as if the hard drive is stuck or doesn’t like that I have had it on fast forward for so long.  I don’t have chapters so I can’t jump to the scene, which is really frustrating so the only way I know how to do it is to fast forward the movie until I get to the scene I want. 

To recover, the only way I have been able to do anything is to turn everything off and unplug it and then try again.  Sometimes it will freeze over and over again. 

Anyone have any ideas on what is freezing?  Can I not fast forward a movie to a scene that I want? 

Thanks in advance.

I believe that you are possibly fast forwarding faster than the WDTV can catch up. It then sticks on that movie not allowing you play anything else. As a work around you could try fast forwarding at x2 and then pressing the next button, this gives you 10 minute jumps. You can also go backwards that way by pressing the rev button and then the prev button. Not ideal but it may overcome your problem.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the response.  I never new that you could do the FF x2 and then press the next button.  I will definately try that.  Is that documented anywhere or just something you get by coming to these forums.

At any rate, I will try that and see if it works.  Thanks for the tip.

PWChongo wrote:

Thank you very much for the response.  I never new that you could do the FF x2 and then press the next button.  I will definately try that.  Is that documented anywhere or just something you get by coming to these forums.

At any rate, I will try that and see if it works.  Thanks for the tip.

Its in the manual under ‘using the remote control’.

And there you have it…I guess if I read “ALL” the instructions, I would have found it. :wink:

9i3F882788DCEDFD34

I will try this and then respond back to the post.  THANK YOU AGAIN richUK for taking the time to respond to my questions. 

Just wanted to follow up and say thanks again!  I tried the FF x2 and then pressing the “Next” button and it worked perfectly.  I can’t tell you how glad I am that I don’t have to sit there and try to FF a movie at 16x speed. 

Of course chapter selection would be the ultimate fix but I know they don’t support that with ISO so for now, this will do. 

Thanks again richUK!