Movie Thumbnail Support Not Offered on MyCloud?!?!?

I don’t want to argue because I know I’m right and I will post a pic later to show you, thanks a lot for the argument and complete lack of help.

Movie-Munky wrote:
…complete lack of help.

Not sure why you’d say that.   I’ve answered every single question you’ve asked … or did I miss something somewhere?

To summarize:

Question 1:  Is there a work around?

Answer:   No workaround necessary.  

Question 2: is there a firmware update for MyCloud that does thumbnail support for movie files? 

Answer:   No update required as thumbnails are already supported (as explained in detail in several responses.)

Question 3:   i have to imbed this info?

Answer:   You CAN imbed info if you choose, but Twonky also (as determined in followup posts) supports external jpeg files for cover art.

Question 4:  …  will this imbedded jpeg file solve the whole metadata issue?

Answer:  Same as #3.

Question 5:  So which device actually is doing the thumbnail metadata support, wdtv right?

Answer: It depends on how you’re accessing the cloud.  Through network shares:  Yes, the WDTV is doing the thumbnails based on .metadata or .jpeg files.   Through DLNA:   The Cloud’s Twonky Server handles the thumbnail as described in #3.

Question 6:  So if i want mycloud to be compatible across platforms I need to embed a thumb, have a .jpg and .metadata? 

Answer:  No, you’d just need .jpg.  .metadata is only created and used by the WDTV; the My Cloud has nothing to do with that.

I say this because you keep arguing with me. instead of offering a viable solution. 

to be blunt i want a multimedia device that can stream my media to any device and have a nice gui. does anybody know one that i dont have to learn Linux and recode to suit multimedia streaming needs. like a good looking GUI on all devices, a music player that can shuffle from the cloud and not local storage would be nice too.

i want simplicity and profesional looking gui’s and support for THUMBNAILS

Thanks for the pic…  I didn’t even come across that help section (burying it in the “settings” menu was an odd choice) until you posted it.

Yup, you found a bug in the app.   They haven’t updated that grid since VIDEO THUMBNAIL support in the app with the My Cloud NAS was added in January in the 3.03.01 firmware release.

Movie-Munky wrote:

to be blunt i want a multimedia device that can stream my media to any device and have a nice gui. 

Ok, I’m trying read between the lines here.

For one, the My Cloud is not a “multimedia device.”   It is a NAS with a media SERVER.  

A media server serves files TO multimedia devices.  As a NAS it’s also a “File” server.   Many media players can also access ordinary file servers as well as DLNA-based Media Servers. 

The My Cloud, as such, can thus work with just about ANY “multimedia device.”  Either through network share access or DLNA access.

The My Cloud NAS doesn’t have or provide ANY “GUI” with respect to media, save for the built-in Twonky server (which is shown in one of my posts above.)

GUI’s are a function of the multimedia device you’re using, not the NAS.

But in addition to that, WD offers Windows, iOS, and Android Apps to be able to remotely access your files (including media):  WD My Cloud, and WD Photos.  

… as demonstrated above with multiple screenshots, the Apps (across all platforms) support thumbnails for all media types.

As already explained, the WD Apps do not support “Cover-Art” type thumbnails for video (though they do for music.)   For videos, as explained above, the app displays a “Screen-Shot” thumbnail taken from the video itself.  Perhaps that’s what the Grid is referring to.   For music, it does display embedded cover art (part of the MP3 / MP4 / M4A…etc specification)

The DLNA server (Twonky) DOES support video “Cover-Art” thumbnails whether they be embedded in the file (part of the M4V & MP4 specification, among others) *or* a separate user-supplied cover via a JPG file.

Movie-Munky wrote:

…does anybody know one that i dont have to learn Linux and recode to suit multimedia streaming needs. like a good looking GUI on all devices, a music player that can shuffle from the cloud and not local storage would be nice too.

i want simplicity and profesional looking gui’s and support for THUMBNAILS

I just don’t think you get it.   The things you’re after are the job of the PLAYER, not the STORAGE.

There are bazillians of players (both hardware-based and Apps for phones / tablets / etc) that work with the NAS – but every one of them is going to look different.   Because it’s not the NAS’s job to present a “GUI…” it’s the PLAYER’s job to do that…

MXPlayer, BubbleUPnP, VLC, Twonky, etc – they all come to mind – and they all work with the Cloud.

If you are struggling to understand the distinction, then, well – I wish you luck.   You will find it impossible to find anything that meets your requirements.  

No one (and I challenge someone to correct me) provides a storage device that provides “a good looking GUI on all devices”

Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear, but that’s reality.